Stability of stick laminated board

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJChaucer

New User
Bradford Chaucer
I am using a piece of pine board that is made up of aproximately 3/4 in sq sticks edge glued together to form a plank. I is the stuff thT Lowes sells. I plan to use it for a counter top on a kitchen base cabinet that I am using as an office work station.

My question relates to the likelihood of wood movement. I want to do a "Breadboard" edge on both ends. I know that the stuff should be fairly stable as regards to warping or cupping. My question is how likely is it to expand or shrink across the width of the board. Can I solidly glue th ebreadboard edge on or do I have to anchor it only at the middle to allow for movement??

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that even glued together narrow strips of wood, would have the same expansion and contraction rates as the same size solid piece. I wouldn't recommend gluing a breadboard end on fully, just in the center or only at one end, to allow for the movement that will occur. I made a table out of glued up strips of pine (heartpine re-claimed from a 200+ year old carriage house), and screwed cleats to the bottom of the table top :)5dunce: I didn't know what I was doing at the time :eusa_doh: )That top has split between most of the glue joints and sits there in the hall as a reminder that wood moves.
Dave:)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
A glued up panel or board will have the same expansion/contraction as a solid board. You will have to allow for seasonal movement if you use a breadboard end.

BJChaucer

New User
Bradford Chaucer
Thanks guys, that three votes for it will move, so I bow to superior numbers :)

I already decided to go with a 1/4 routed routed edge.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
There might be another option.
I installed a walnut inlay in my tile floor of a new masterbathroom that I built.
After allot of inquiries about how NOT to allow the walnut to move during seasonal changes (grout line cracks, miter joints), came up with sealing all 6 edges of the wood.
Going on 2 years now and no gaps have opened up.
I wonder if the same principal would apply??????

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS