Spruced up the Unisaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I bought an old (1956) Unisaw in January and decided to tear it down and give it a cleaning...and paint job...and lube job...and new belts...and rewire it for 220V...

So, I got it put back together and here's what it looks like now (well, before I started churning out sawdust with it:icon_thum). I'm ordering a mag starter soon, but it's pretty much finished.

64.jpg

It's made me want to clean up my shop since it is much bigger than my old saw and I can't get away with having lots of junk all over the place.

It reminds me of Bas' post earlier this week -now I have to remake all the jigs and fixtures that I already made for my old saw :eusa_doh:.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a beautiful piece of old arn. You should be very proud of your restoration. Now serve it due justice and make some sawdust with it :icon_thum

Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Greg,
I know it was a lot of work, but man it sure looks purdy:icon_thum ! It should give you years of good use, and you can pass it down when you're done with it.

Good luck with it,
Jimmy:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is a fine piece of machinery and a heck of a job on the restoration. Enjoy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Since I neglected to say it during your first post: YOU SUCK!!! For $500, a little elbow grease plus some material, you have a BRAND SPANKING NEW UNISAW.

And a clean shop too :)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very very nice!

Did you have to replace any parts or was everything in pretty good shape (other than the belts)? I suspect if you didn't do it, somewhere down the line the arbor and/or the bearings had been replaced.

M

McRabbet

Looks like you did a great job! Hope you checked the arbor runout, miter slot-to-blade alignment and blade tilt stops while you were re-assembling (see John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines..." by Taunton Press for setup details if you need them -- book is great and currently $13.57 + shipping from Amazon.com). You've got a great saw there!

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for the compliments (of course, that's what I was looking for :mrgreen:).

Did you have to replace any parts

All the nuts and bolts were still good and with a little wire brushing and/or navel jelly, I just reused them. I wrestled with replacing the bearings, but it didn't look like fun. Some of the toolmakers at work agreed with me that they were in good shape so I didn't mess with them.

Since I'm now intimately familiar with how to take the thing apart, if the bearings become a problem, I won't be afraid to tear it down again and give replacement a try.

Hope you checked the arbor runout, miter slot-to-blade alignment and blade tilt stops while you were re-assembling
Did all but the arbor runout - don't have a way to mount my indicator to my mag base at the moment. So, at this point, "it is what it is".:eusa_pray

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS