Spring Picnic '09 Main Course---BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK here's the big one. What are we going to do for the main course? Originally I had thought that we could do a good old fashion NC Pork BBQ with some Chicken for the skinny folks. I am a little bit concerned that we might not have enough time to properly cook the Pork shoulders enough in time to eat. We only have access to the park at 8:00am and hope to eat between 12 and 2:00. If we can get some cooks that will be willing to get this started really early in the morning we can probably pull it off, but I don't want to put anybody out and leave all the responsibility on their heads. Other quicker options are BBQ Chicken, Brats, Burgers and Hotdogs. Those could easily be cooked during the picnic time frame. We have several large gas cookers lined up, so the cooking space is taken care of.
The decision comes down to anyone who wants to start cooking at the crack of dawn or if we want to make it easier and just grill simpler items during the picnic proper.
I'm looking for volunteers or ideas...

Thanks,
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, shoulders would have to be on the grill no later than 4:00 AM, with 3:00 AM being better. If shoulders were spread on the grill the evening before, around 11:00 PM, cooking time can be cut by about one hour. At Campers on a Mission, over at the State Fair, we start shoulders at 7:00 AM, and try to eat by 5:30 PM. (Due to theft possibilities, we can't put them on the night before.) Gas is quicker than charcoal. We usually do 185-215#, and feed about 400. I have a box than can chop all the meat from shoulders in about 20-30 minutes, but it has a human powered motor. The motor I currently have is kinda weak. (I'm not sure if it's the start switch, or the run capacitor.) Shoulders could be chopped and loaded into an ice chest to keep them hot. If you decide on hot dogs, and hamburgers, I have a commercial slaw chopper that does a bag (50#) of cabbage in about 15 minutes.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Dave, We are only 1 1/2 miles from the park, We will check and make sure first but we think that if someone want's to start the cooker the night before they can come to our place and do all the prep the night before, then come back before 4:AM and they can start cooking then.
dick

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, are you think hot dogs and or hamburgers too? I know a lot of kids don't eat BBQ.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Could the BBQ be cooked the day before, refrigerated over night and then reheated on the grill at the picnic?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Could the BBQ be cooked the day before, refrigerated over night and then reheated on the grill at the picnic?

After talking with Tar Heel and him getting some advice from a very experienced BBQ'er I think that is what we are going to do.
It will be NC Pork BBQ, Chicken and some hotdogs and burgers for the kiddies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, y'all this is an important category. What is planned is cooking the Pork on Friday. Tar Heel (Stuart Nelson) has volunteered to head that up. Most of the cooking is just making sure the cookers are still going as they should. But he will need some help when the Pork is done chopping it up and storing it cold until Saturday morning. I would appreciate a few folks that could help with the chopping and especially offering some fridge space to keep the meat cold and fresh until the next morning.

On Saturday morning we will bring the cooker out to the shelter and fire it up to re-heat the Pork and grill some BBQ Chicken, hot dogs and burgers. It would be helpful to have a few folks that would be willing to help with that also.

In addition we will need a few folks to help with the gathering of the meat prior to the cooking time. NCWW will be paying for the meat, we just need some folks willing to go and get it early Friday, and in the case of the meats other than the Pork storing it until Saturday.

It goes without saying that Pork isn't NC BBQ without the sauce. SO let's bring it on, bring out your best. I think it would be awesome to have a BBQ sauce bar where everyone can try your favorite concoction.

I think that together we can make this the best picnic ever, and may start a new NCWW Spring Picnic tradition...the Pot-Luck.

Thanks for you assistance in advance.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I'll bring a gallon or so of Well's "Hog Heaven" BBQ sauce. It is the eastern NC vinegar based style and is made in Burgaw, NC (way down East). It is goooood stuff for those of us who prefer Eastern NC style. I suggest we have some of the sweet sauce suck as Cattleman's, Jack Daniel's (now, in addition to the other "sauce" for which they are famous, they also make a BBQ sauce). I have used Cattleman's Honey Gold and Jack Daniels Honey Smoke House and they are very good. Sweet with hickory smoke flavor. There are many others so, as Dave said, bring 'em on. Post your suggestions here. Normally, in the Eastern NC style, the sauce is mixed with the pork after it has been chopped. However, considering that there are so many types of sauce and individual taste buds involved, I think it would be best to have the sauces available at the serving line and everyone mix their own. Hmmmm, I'm getting hungry.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Stuart,
We'll be in Sanford sometime Friday, actually if you need the help I can probably take Friday off. I'm more than willing to help you Friday and Saturday with food prep.

Just let me know what you need!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
OK, y'all this is an important category. What is planned is cooking the Pork on Friday. Tar Heel (Stuart Nelson) has volunteered to head that up. Most of the cooking is just making sure the cookers are still going as they should. But he will need some help when the Pork is done chopping it up and storing it cold until Saturday morning. I would appreciate a few folks that could help with the chopping and especially offering some fridge space to keep the meat cold and fresh until the next morning.

On Saturday morning we will bring the cooker out to the shelter and fire it up to re-heat the Pork and grill some BBQ Chicken, hot dogs and burgers. It would be helpful to have a few folks that would be willing to help with that also.

In addition we will need a few folks to help with the gathering of the meat prior to the cooking time. NCWW will be paying for the meat, we just need some folks willing to go and get it early Friday, and in the case of the meats other than the Pork storing it until Saturday.

It goes without saying that Pork isn't NC BBQ without the sauce. SO let's bring it on, bring out your best. I think it would be awesome to have a BBQ sauce bar where everyone can try your favorite concoction.

I think that together we can make this the best picnic ever, and may start a new NCWW Spring Picnic tradition...the Pot-Luck.

Thanks for you assistance in advance.

NCWW is supplyin the meat? kewl. moderators roasting on an open grill......:rotflm: admin stew too?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yeah but we're all tough and kinda gamey. I think some fresh pig is gonna be better than my hide. You could probably chew on Steve for weeks.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Yeah but we're all tough and kinda gamey. I think some fresh pig is gonna be better than my hide. You could probably chew on Steve for weeks.

no thanks!:rotflm: the old ones are tough.:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS