Spring Lake Woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Daddy_Oh

New User
Lance
Happy New Year Friends!

My name is Lance DeViney, and I am a new member residing in Spring Lake, NC. I am a mid-level novice, interested mostly in small to medium woodworking projects. I am a hybrid tool user happy to employ power or hand tools as the task demands. I've tinkered for several decades and done general handyman work, but in the last year have become more interested, and more serious, about learning some real tradecraft. I've crafted a few things in the house like shelves and a couple free standing curio cabinets (one of oak and the other of cherry), and recently did a oak keepsake box for my wife's Christmas gift.

My shop is whatever I can accomplish in a single car garage, minus the space needed for some gardening supplies. I have two general purpose store-bought 6-foot long benches along the wall and a 2 x 8 foot plywood laminated workbench sitting atop a couple of portable Stanley Big Max sawhorse legs. Lacking a vise or anything, I have drilled a bunch of 3/4 inch holes and am using Gramercy holdfasts for now. I am most interested in making keepsake and jewelry boxes, curio cabinets, shadow boxes, small shelves, and interesting small to medium sized indoor projects. I have a good variety of hand power tools and manual hand tools courtesy of a generous older brother who gifted me his cast offs to make space for his newer acquisitions.

I look forward to getting to know you, and learning from the insights and advice of seasoned woodworkers. I welcome your patience and positive guidance.

Best wishes for a great 2016,

Lance "Big Daddy Oh" DeViney :D

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Welcome Lance! You have found the greatest group of friendly woodworkers! There's more than a lifetime of knowledge here on this site. Don't be shy and post LOTS of pictures! Someone will post the instructions how to upload photos to an album you get to create. So, if you need help, please ask! If you can give help, please offer!

Again, glad to have you!
Michael

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wlcome to NCWW, sounds like we have some things in common. I also am a hybrid woodworker. At one time thought I would transition to pure hand tool work, but age caught up with me and now I enjoy having the tailed apprentices.

I hope you enjoy your time here and get what you need from all of us.

oh, and pictures! We love pictures.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Lance-
We are glad you found us.
Photos, comment and participating in discussions will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I tell everyone - you get out what you put in.

When you posting questions - you WILL get answers - sometimes lots of them!:eek:
But don't be shy, the only dumb question is the unasked one...

We LOVE pictures - shop, shop pets, tools, projects nearly anything! (within "family friendly" reason!)

Here is information on how to post pictures;

[url]http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/c...e-to-your-post[/URL]

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
welcome I am not a very accomplished woodworker but I do like to mess around in the shop all I can and have found that there is a great amount of knowledge here I enjoy coming in here just to look at others projects and I get a lot of ideas that way. I can never make exactly what I see here but I take the ideas and modify them to what I need. I'm sure you can learn almost anything you want here. If you have questions ask, someone here will have the awnsers!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome to the sawdustpile Lance. Great group here....jump right in

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Welcome Lance! You're gonna like it here. Great bunch.

Don't ever fell shy about using power tools. I'm at the other extreme to paraphrase Will Rogers & quote Norm "I never met a power tool I didn't like." Some folk like to refer to people like me as "tool collectors".
:eusa_danc

Pop

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Lance. Glad you found us and decided to join in. There are a number of members in the greater Fayetteville area you may want to get to know.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little spot on the web Lance, glad to have you with us. Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors