Spraying shellack (coarse texture) normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
I noticed this morning from spraying shellack last night the finish is now a little coarse. Is this normal? Should I sand with steel wool or something to make smooth before applying the next coat shich will have a little dye mixed in the solution? In general when spraying the shellack should it go down and look basically dry right after applying or should it kind of flow and look wet for a little while?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would expect it to look wet for just a little while, and I recall a somewhat rough texture when I last used some. It did sand out quite smoothly.

J

jeff...

Travis just my thoughts but I'm thinking a wet sand of 400 grit wrapped on a sanding block, followed up with tack cloth to remove dust might help matters some. Shellac is a soft finish, just try and not sand through your first coat of finish (go easy). Are you going to rub out your final coat with pumice (satin) and rotten stone (gloss) sheens respectively or are you going the wax route?

Travis

New User
Travis
Sprayed two more coats of shellack tonight (one with dye and one without) on the 16 drawer fronts and the 4 cases. Sanded between coats with 0000 steel wool. Everything seams to be coming out well except I ame having a devil of a time spraying the intersections of the face frames. It is just coming out darker at the intersections and lighter in the middle of the frame members. Tried to go back and darken middles with touch spraying but was not real successful. Also noticed that not all maple boards are created equal and I am geting color variations which I am cool with because it looks good. This being my first natural finish project I have learned a lot. Arm-R-Seal top coat tomorrow tonight. WOO WHOOOO! :eusa_danc LOML can not wait for the project to be completed. She is already planning on going doiwn to Lowes and pick out hardware. It is going to kill her when I tell her that the top coat manufacturer recomends 14 day cure.8-O

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis,

It sounds likethings are turning out well. I usually spray at least 3 coats before sanding to achieve some build first, then sand with 320 and spray a final topcoat or two. It's not unusual to end up with a fairly rough feeling texture until you sand level but the next coats should feel like glass.

The intersections are always a challenge because they tend to get sprayed from both directions. The key is to keep the coats light, you want them to lay down wet but no tso much that you have "puddles".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS