Spray Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I've got the HVLP that they sell at Rockler....

61577-01-200.jpg

I think they sell something similar at Harbor Freight as well. Can any of you that have this gun tell me if I need to dilute exterior latex paint before using. Also which nozzle do I use? I've got some Adirondacks and lounge chairs I'd like to paint and I thought I'd try this gun again. I cant seem to get it to work for me when using other finishes but these paint projects I'm not too particular about. Thanks!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Peter,
I'm no expert but when I have sprayed latex with my HVLP gun I mix Flotrol in the paint for better viscosity. I don't know about the nozzle choices I have only 2. One for varnish and one for paint.
Hope someone that knows more chimes in here!
Good luck!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You have to thin it with Floetrol and/or water or it will not spray, it will sputter. Use the largest needle/seat pair available.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Is there a proportion to use. I know I'm retarded sorry.

Never say that. What we don't know, we dont' know.

As for proportion, I don't know. I have heard starting with 10 percent water and 20 percent floetrol, but I have not tried it myself. I have tried unthinned paint in an HVLP conversion gun with a standard tip and I know that it sputters and doesn't spray. I

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Earlex recommends cutting it 10%, trying it, and then 5% incrementally if it needs more. They also have a viscosity cup. Don't know if it works or not.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If you do pull it off, I think you're going to need a large needle -- and if you don't have that as an option, you'll need to thin the paint a bit.

When I sprayed paint with the Vasper gun (2.3mm nozzle), I had to thin it with water & Floetrol. The first two attempts with the recommended thinning just clogged the gun & made for a frustrating experience ... however, once I got it thin enough (aka: milk) it sprayed fine. As I recall it was about 3oz Floetrol and 15% water to a quart of paint ... but don't take my word for that ... foggy memory.

nelsone

New User
Ed
You should ha ve a viscosity cup that came with the sprayer. thin until it takes the recommended time to flow through the cup. Seems to me it's something like 20~30 seconds, but it's been a few years since I pushed latex through it. When I did it worked well!

JohnW

New User
John
Peter,

Not trying to "spray" water on your fire :roll:....BUT.

I don't think your gun was designed to spray latex paint. It might do it but it's hard to get it "just right" and the abrasive pigments will wear out the gun parts quickly.

I've used oil based paints thinned with mineral spirits (paint thinner) with very good results. I'd try 20% mineral to start. Oil based acrylic is a good choice.

John W

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Is this paint suitable for exterior applications? Shoot, maybe I'll just do it the old fashioned way. With a dang brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS