Spokeshave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to improve my skills with planes. I intend to make a doll stroller for my granddaughter which has several curves and was thinking I need to purchase a spokeshave to take saw marks off the curves. I will be working with mdf light and was wondering if the glue in the mdf would hurt the blade.

Does anyone have a recommendation as make and if what I am thinking is correct.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have several and can loan you one to see if this is what you really need.

Yes, MDF will wear the blade more rapidly then solid wood.

I have seen solid carbide blades for sale but can't remember the source at the moment.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Larry, I would recommend you take Mike up on his offer to borrow one first. Spokeshaves are a different animal and take some getting used to, especially on curved surfaces. You may find it is not what you need after all.

For MDF, you might want to try a sanding stick. Use a thin stick that is flexible enough to bend to the curves you are cleaning up. Attach a strip of sandpaper to it w/ spray adhesive, and sand away.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Larry, I would recommend you take Mike up on his offer to borrow one first. Spokeshaves are a different animal and take some getting used to, especially on curved surfaces. You may find it is not what you need after all.

For MDF, you might want to try a sanding stick. Use a thin stick that is flexible enough to bend to the curves you are cleaning up. Attach a strip of sandpaper to it w/ spray adhesive, and sand away.
Or you could attach sandpaper to the stick with the masking tape/CA glue tip. That way you can easily change out the paper and not leave residue on the stick.

I would first scrape the curves with a cabinet scraper or even a razor blade then sand (if sanding is needed). Just be careful scrapers/razor blades can cut you easier than wood.

Calm seas never made a good Capitan

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If sanding MDF use a good face mask. It makes a tremendous amount of fine sawdust and particulates (think glue and resins) in the air. Be safe.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would get a 1" belt style sander like the Rikon unless the curves are REALLY tight. Horror fright makes one as well. (it just looks bigger in the picture - trust me these machines are as different as night and day!!
BUT! WARNING!!!! as Ken said - you NEED a good face mask!!! it is NOT an option!

AS mentioned a flexible stick or a flexible piece of metal you can use spray adhesive to hold the sandpaper (on both sides too!) and you can peel it off when it gets warn..

861010.jpg
image_21866.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
AS mentioned a flexible stick or a flexible piece of metal you can use spray adhesive to hold the sandpaper (on both sides too!) and you can peel it off when it gets warn..

Or you could attach sandpaper to the stick with the masking tape/CA glue tip. That way you can easily change out the paper and not leave residue on the stick.

Hey Moses - dont you have a oven to get working?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Yea, Yea, Yea - Whatever! if you stop repeating yourself... :swoon:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, if we pick the wrong "new" oven - cranky will be an understatement!!!
Unfortunately there is nearly NO information to base the decision on - (choosing between a Electrolux, Kitchen Aid and a Bosch in Wall Ovens)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Unfortunately there is nearly NO information to base the decision on - (choosing between a Electrolux, Kitchen Aid and a Bosch in Wall Ovens)
Moses parted the sea. surely you can fit a oven in a cabinet ;)

Last edited:

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Stay away from the Electrolux, daughter works in the appliance dept at the BORG and they are constantly getting service complaints! Their saying is , everything Electrolx makes sucks and only one of them is designed to do that!.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Are you making curved mdf templates to use on wood pieces for the stroller?

1. Ridgid makes a versatile oscillating spindle sander that's pretty useful for curved parts (MDF or wood).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyuhK2FESzE

2. Otherwise, hand sanding as mentioned by others is pretty easy for fairing curves. A curve cutoff with attached sandpaper works well and is large enough to "follow" the curve without gouging.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

Sorry Larry - I will blame Jeff as an enabler of me hijacking your thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS