Spindle Turning Training Needed

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I would like to find someone not too far from Anderson, SC who can help me get up the learning curve on spindle turning. I'm not a complete novice; have the right tools; have and use a Wolverine sharpening jig; but, just not making progress at an acceptable rate. And I really don't want to be practicing the wrong techniques out of just pure ignorance. My objective is bedposts, candle sticks, etc with fairly complex shapes. Any suggestions?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark, did you get anywhere with this?

Do you still need help?
He hasn't - I have not been able to take a day to get to him. I am still hopeful I can in the coming weeks...

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have seen Alan Batty's video on the skew at least 10 times and practiced for 50 hours or so. I can perform all of the cuts, but not yet with great confidence. I intend to try a dry run bedpost this week (pine 2 by 4) and just see how it goes on that scale. I think I have sharpening down for the tools I own, but of course thinking and actually having might be different. So, yes, I'd still like a lesson or two. Thanks guys for following up.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
The question is good. I have 50 hours of working with it. I have lots of mistakes and with small things think that I have a "feel". Now I need to master creating exactly the shape I want without a run back or other unpleasant result. Most of that time is making angels that are 2 inches tall entirely with a skew. I'm very much still at the "thank goodness for sandpaper" stage of learning.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
google American Association of Woodturners. They have a list of clubs and professionals who you can select from, contact and get the one-to-one teaching you want.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS