specialty finish info

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
There is a finish that I want so much to figure out how to do. I have found a little info on base colors and glaze colors. A Google search has taken me all around the world without decent information.

I've seen it done on two different types of wood. Cherry and Maple. It is a silver glaze that on cherry looks like a Cabernet in a frosted glass and the Maple had a medium brown stain and the silver glaze made it look like pewter.

I've looked through the links pages for finishing and really found nothing to learn there. Does anyone here know a good website or even a pro finisher that I could get advice from?

Thank you!

cptully

New User
Chris
Taunton Press has several good books on finishing. Go to www.finewoodworking.com and search their books. Many of them can be found in public libraries, books stores and even places like Lowes and Home Depot.

Chris

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Barb: I'd bet that Howard Atcheson can help you. Maybe he'll see this or you could PM him. Good luck! :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You also might check with Dozer, he has a lot of experience in the faux finishing world. He would probably know what you're talking about...Lord knows, I don't :dontknow:

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
To save you wasted time, i checked Bob Flexner's book, Understanding wood finishing, and altho he has a section on glazing and on advanced techniques, he does not have an example of what your are seeking,.

Sorry, no help

Go

b4man

New User
Barbara
CHERRY_HeirloomFrostWhite-lg.jpg

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do. This pic is from a cabinet website so no particulars as to the finish are given. In this picture it looks like a white wash but in actuality it's more silver giving the cherry a frosted look.

wayne

New User
wayne
The secret to useing glaze for a particular finish is to apply and remove guickly.All you want the glaze to do is highlight the nuances of the wood whether it is the grain,knots,imperfections or whatever.
I worked for a high end furniture factory between jobs once and they used glaze as a step in their finishing process.
The procedure was to apply stains first to acheive the base color, next came a sanding sealer which after drying and then sanding the glaze would be sprayed on the wood then guickly wiped off, the glaze would add a layer of detail and depth to the finish that accentuated the characteristics of whatever wood was being used then the final topcaot was applied which was usually a clear laquer with various sheens.
Don't know if this is the info or procedure you're seeking but hope it helps.

Wayne

wayne

New User
wayne
The thing to do for this type of finish or any other for that matter would be to make a color panel.
Rip several panels of whatever wood you're using in the construction of your cabinets,furniture or whatever and start by spraying each one with the base and document how much was applied,then leave one with just the base,then add the next step in the process to the remaining panels.there should be as many panels as there are steps in the process with each panel showing how each step affects the outcome of the finish. doing this lets you adjust the steps to reach the desired end result.
When you reach the look you want you have a panel with each step and what you did to achieve the finish makeing it easy to duplicate when your work is ready to be finished.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS