Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Is there such a thing? This weekend's use of the spare time:

Say it with gumwood

Say it with Pine

This took awhile - a queen, before the saw set up was complete:

And the knight - first half before I figured out the saw setup issue, and the second half after I figured it out:

All this while keeping an eye on my daughter while she rode her bike in circles around mine:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like a very productive weekend. Super job with the chess pieces. 3-D on a SS is not easy. I see no saw setup issues. Don't be too hard on yourself. I can't wait to see the entire set. After you cut the chess pieces you should also make the board and the storage box. I'm sure you will get lot of advise on both.
:wsmile:

What kind of wood are the chess pieces?

sawduster

New User
Robert
Looks like a good use of the weekend to me :eusa_clap
I want to do a chess set one of these days .....nice job ! :icon_thum

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I don't have one yet either.... keep looking, finding some great deals on Craigslist, but I am probably about a year away from being able to make that big purchase, may be an 1/2 ton like yours in the interim - to replace the 88 Nissan that is really a rolling project (when it rolls at all)

Hook

New User
Gregory
The wood is pink ivory. I bought some PI turning blanks from Woodturningz and viola! Perfect for chess pieces. Believe me, I had issues with the saw setup and the burns and blade wandering on these pieces are a direct result. They took about 2 hours apiece at the lowest rpm setting. Trying to find the perfect blade for them is tough too - I snapped 3 thin blades on the queen before I switched to a wider blade. Cutting pink ivory seems akin to trying to cut iron wood, or so it seems.

I still have 7 pawns, one rook and one bishop left to do for the pink ivory side. I still have 14 pieces to cut for the cocobolo side.

I've made some chess boards - all of them have either sold for a good price or been given away for Christmas presents.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I believe I ended up using 11.5/tpi blade that was probably about 1/2 milimeter wide - I'll have to check the specs on it later. The real issue was the saw setup. I'd just bought the saw from Ray H and I understood why he may have been frustrated with it as the setup made for some difficult control issues. The Delta is certainly a huge upgrade from my Craftsman once the setup is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS