Spalted Red Oak available - cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
I have a scanner in my den; I don’t listen to it for entertainment or even on a regular basis. It sits next to my wife's chair and she normally is monitoring it every evening. It distracts me when I try to listen to the TV. I can’t disseminate two streams of audio to my brain for some reason. I can only handle one input at the time.

Anyway, in my neck of the woods, if someone gets into trouble chances are you will be one of the first to know with a scanner monitoring the police channels. It also gives you a warning if something is going on near you. When there are storms or approaching storms, I will listen then. If they are purported to be dangerous I make sure I can hear it well and listen.

The point I am making is one of these storms occurred about 6 months ago, and a small community 15 miles from me had either a baby tornado or microburst come thru. I wrote down the road names as it happened.

The next day the wife and I rode out towards the area afflicted the night before, and just looked as we rode. If you ride out to areas that have storm damage, your chances of finding a nice yard tree taken down by that storm are very good. This isn’t monopolizing on the hardship of others. Many times people this happens too are eager to find anyone willing to take some or all of these trees.

It just so happened, we came up on a huge oak tree, probably at least 275 yrs old, that had grown with 2 trunks. Each trunk is about 6’ in diameter. Over the years the fork of it had collected water it couldn’t drain of and rot settled in, along with the spalting fungus. The larger trunk, had broken off from the tree and had fallen during the storm that previous night.

We saw it and immediately stopped to talk with the owner. He and his family were sitting outside, talking. After explaining that I wanted some of the wood from it, he was overjoyed I had come along and told me to take all I want. I have been working on this monolith for 4 months now. After cutting a section, I was stunned to find the most beautiful spalted and spalted burl wood.

That being the case, there is enough tree there to keep me busy the next six months if I worked on it 4 hrs every day. The big problem is I have limited storage capacity. I cannot store all of this wood. Only 40% of it is good wood, but still I don’t have the room. So I have put up select pieces I want to make things from, and others I have prepared for sale.

Most of the sale wood is waxed on all sides, the exception being extreme saps sides or bark isn’t waxed. I have sold some on Ebay, and have another portion on my website under “turning blanks”. If any of you would want to buy some of this wood I will take off an automatic 25% of the price I list it at on my site. Just let me know your NCW username, and full name.

You can see what I have available at anytime by visiting this link:
http://handturnedbowls.biz/blanks.html

This is truly gorgeous wood, but keep in mind it is very wet. It will need a lot of drying time. But it will make some of the most beautiful bowls and vessels. One of my clients is a knife maker in Seattle. I will be adding more to my website as I have time to prepare it and take pics of it.

cad

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are great looking blanks. I just recently saw a bowl turned out of spalted Oak, and it was just beautiful. I wish I could turn well enough to do that wood some justice, but alas I suck and not in the Insomniac good way.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
I got some samplings of pen blanks from this stock. It is super nice looking. I can't wait to get it turned out. Going to make some nice pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS