Spalted oak frame - what's the best finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm building some picture frames out of spalted white oak, and need some advice regarding how best to finish them.

I am not well versed in this area; my initial thought is to use some type of very light colored stain and an oil finish, but this is just a guess.

Advice is most welcome. Thanks.

Scott

Attachments

• Spalted white oak2.jpg
    Spalted white oak2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 847

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not a big fan of staining wood, especially if you have a wood with it's own unique beauty. I would just use a oil/varnish mix like Danish oil, Tung oil finish, Tried and True, Seal-a-cell/Arm-r-seal, or Waterlox Originial S/F. Or a spit coat of shellac and gloss lacquer. Both will give the wood a little amber color and bring out the natural beauty.
My $.02, Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto what Dave said. No stain, and go with a simple wipe on finish. IMO, you can use the wipe on oils mentioned alone and they will add good color and depth.

J

jeff...

Good God man DON'T stain that wood :slap:, but DO finish it with some clear :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

I'm with DaveO -- Seal-A-Cell (clear) and Satin Arm-R-Seal will make it look great.

Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Guys, thanks for the info. The slight "amber" color that Dave mentioned is exactly the effect that I'm after.

Of the options listed, what would be y'all's first choice, and where do I buy some at?

On a separate topic, the oak is some which I cut here on the farm about three years ago, and left to spalt for about a year and a half. I've done sweetgum before, but this was my first oak. One of the few times that I wished that the tree had more sapwood!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Should make for some spiffy looking cabinet doors. I would vote for natural Watco danish oil too, and then maybe some clear coats of lacquer or shellac. Try the oil on some scrap first, spalted wood can really soak up finish and can turn dark, or at least darker than what you expected, even with "clear" natural oil.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Guys - thanks for the tips. I'm headed over to BORG this morning to see about picking up some Watco Danish Oil. Is this something that I'll need to add a second finish to (such as the shellac or lacquer mentioned by Ozzie), or can I just use the oil?

Scott

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
It seems my folks used wax over the WDO??? on a table they did a long time ago, Table still looks great today!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well in the absense of spalted polyuristain i would have to agree with dave o on this one.:rolf: thats too pretty to slop stain on.;-) oil then lacker would look good also.

fred p

rhett

New User
rhett
I agree with the oil/wax finish. For superior results prior to waxing, try wet sanding the wood with the oil and a 400 grit automotive sandpaper. The slurry this will create helps to smooth the overall finish and give a uniform sheen.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks Guys. I picked up some Watco Danish Oil (natural and Oak finishes) today at Lowes - will try it out on some test pieces tomorrow.

I also bought some Minwax paste wax as a topcoat.

Rhett - thanks for the tip on the 400 grit wetsand - will try it out and post pix when I'm done.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS