Something stupid I did

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
While I thought I know what I was doing when I remodeled our kitchen I did not even think about the clearance for the drawer pulls that we where going to add now I have this problem - We remodeled two years ago and I have been somewhat embarrassed:embaresse at asking for help on this one but I am biting the bullet and asking my great friend here if they have any ideas to what I can do - without tearing everything out and starting over:no:

Stupid1.jpg

View image in gallery

timf67

New User
Tim
Why do you need a pull? I have some drawers in my house with no pulls, they have a relief cut out of the bottom back of the drawer front so that you can open the drawer. It looks like you have holes in the drawer front. I would just make a new drawer front with a relief on the bottom back. That's just me though :dontknow:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Why do you need a pull? I have some drawers in my house with no pulls, they have a relief cut out of the bottom back of the drawer front so that you can open the drawer. It looks like you have holes in the drawer front. I would just make a new drawer front with a relief on the bottom back. That's just me though :dontknow:

Exactly what I was thinking.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
dont feel bad. :nah: I've seen this done before. you can cut all the drawers down and add stile blocks, make new fronts to acomadate recentering the pulls, Or as others have said dont use pulls. I am thinking you have the same problem in the other direction too!:icon_scra hmmmm. OR glue that drawer shut!:rotflm: you dont need it anyway.:gar-La; I consulted with the great swammy and she see's another kitchen remodel in your future....:icon_cheers

PChristy

New User
Phillip

If I made a new one for this and did not use pulls then I would have to do all of the others as well - If I had caught this before I put all of the others on I would have went with the relief pull on the bottom

PChristy

New User
Phillip
dont feel bad. :nah: I've seen this done before. you can cut all the drawers down and add stile blocks, make new fronts to acomadate recentering the pulls, Or as others have said dont use pulls. I am thinking you have the same problem in the other direction too!:icon_scra hmmmm. OR glue that drawer shut!:rotflm: you dont need it anyway.:gar-La; I consulted with the great swammy and she see's another kitchen remodel in your future....:icon_cheers

Nope don't have it the other way - I had enough room that way - Glue it shut:nah: no way bro - she would hang me up by my toe nails = another remodel:swoon: I would rather sell this one and build a new one - and that ain't going to happen either = Might go the route of butting another style in there and cut the drawers down some like you suggested

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nope don't have it the other way - I had enough room that way - Glue it shut:nah: no way bro - she would hang me up by my toe nails = another remodel:swoon: I would rather sell this one and build a new one - and that ain't going to happen either = Might go the route of butting another style in there and cut the drawers down some like you suggested

making new drawers might be easier than cutting the old ones down. you can re-use the fronts by cuttin half off each end but then you gotta refinish them. the drawers will be a little smaller but still functional. by making new ones you can still use those till you get the new ones done. [saves on the down time]:icon_thum the quick fix isnt always the best fix. if it is only the one drawer you could take it out and get pull down hardware with a plastic tray inside. it eliminates the drawer but does give some storage for small items.:widea: just looks like a false front but SWMBO might not go fer it!:gar-La;

DavidF

New User
David
How about recessing the pull in a pocket cut in the drawer front. You would need to do all the others but a router jig would make light work of it.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I didn't do my kitchen, but I have the exact same issue.

I like the relief pull idea, but it would throw off the look of the rest of the drawers.
I thought about cutting a notch in the appropriate side of the drawer front to allow the adjacent drawer to open fully. Then routing the edge with the same profile. I don't really like that idea though, seems cheesey, and UGLY!!
Next I thought about using a much thinner drawer front with the same profile cut into it, but I don't have enough room to make that one work.
Last, I thought about recessing the pull on that drawer enough to allow full movement. I still need to take some measurements to see if that one is viable. But I think it is probably the easiest and best idea I came up with.

I'll be interested to see what everyone else comes up with.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Does the drawer rub on the drawer to the right or is there some clearance? If there is some clearance why not remove the drawer on the right. Then you could make a full length door and install pull out shelves instead of the one drawer. The door would not hinder the opening of the drawers. :icon_scra

Bob

PChristy

New User
Phillip
How about recessing the pull in a pocket cut in the drawer front. You would need to do all the others but a router jig would make light work of it.

Does the drawer rub on the drawer to the right or is there some clearance? If there is some clearance why not remove the drawer on the right. Then you could make a full length door and install pull out shelves instead of the one drawer. The door would not hinder the opening of the drawers. :icon_scra

Bob

Two more good ideas = :icon_thum thanks

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Might be a stupid question but,Do you have any room to move the cab with the pulls to the left any and fill in the corner with a scribe?
If not is there a cab to the left that you can pull out and cut down?Then you can move that cab down and fill the corner in with a scribe.

M

McRabbet

I Like BigJoe's idea of moving the cabinet to the left if you have room and put a spacer (scribe) at the original seam. But here is an alternative: Remove the drawer face and make a new narrower one that can be reattached with no overlap to the right side of the drawer. I can't be sure if that gives you enough clearance, but it looks like it might. Shallower drawer pulls may also help as suggested, but they all should match.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I have been looking for something like this - but the price will most likely keep me away from that

Might be a stupid question but,Do you have any room to move the cab with the pulls to the left any and fill in the corner with a scribe?
If not is there a cab to the left that you can pull out and cut down?Then you can move that cab down and fill the corner in with a scribe.

If you are talking about moving the cabinet to fix this that is to late - top is already on - dishwasher in - sink is in - I done this about two years ago - I wish I had caught it before I put the pulls on the other drawers

I Like BigJoe's idea of moving the cabinet to the left if you have room and put a spacer (scribe) at the original seam. But here is an alternative: Remove the drawer face and make a new narrower one that can be reattached with no overlap to the right side of the drawer. I can't be sure if that gives you enough clearance, but it looks like it might. Shallower drawer pulls may also help as suggested, but they all should match.

I might just look into the shallower pulls -

DavidF

New User
David
I have to say that I like Bob Cat Bob's idea of converting that to a full height door with pull out drawers behind it. That way you don't need to mod any of the other drawers.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Not related to a remodel - but I've removed most of the drawer and cabinet door pulls (below the counter top) because they were all just the right size and shape to snag me by the fly....or grab a pocket.

Just had to share...it was funny the first two weeks I lived in the house...3 years ago.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I like the looks of the flush pulls mentioned by Gritz. They are a bit cost prohibitive for a full kitchen, and I would think that food and other general kitchen gunk would get stuck in them. I'm a messy cook, and SWMBO is even worse. I'd hate to have to clean them out.

Why not lose the original pulls all together and make your own from a contrasting wood. Then they could be whatever dimension you need them to be.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have to say that I like Bob Cat Bob's idea of converting that to a full height door with pull out drawers behind it. That way you don't need to mod any of the other drawers.

Yea I have been looking at that everytime I go into the kitchen - I would not be able to put pull outs all the way down - we keep alot of our cookware in the lower part but I could do the pull out for the drawer =

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS