Something New

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Two weeks ago my wife noticed in Woodcraft Magazine, the new travel mug inserts.

She had to have one, and "commissioned" me to make another for our oldest daughter who is moving this weekend to Savannah, Ga. So whats posted here will be a little gift for her.

Last Friday I picked up the part (insert) and yesterday started working on it. The biggest challenge was the finish. I wanted something that would hold up to coffee spills, hand washing, etc. and could only come up with an epoxy finish. Unfortunately, those cure very, very slowly and "run" as they cure. My approach was to brush it on, other than pour it, and to make sure the brush coat was thin.

It worked, No runs, no sags.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim, that is awesome. I have seen them before and wondered how they were done. Did you drill out the inside or have to hollow it out on the lathe? What is your wall thickness? And how much coffee will it hold??:lol: :lol: :lol:
Your finish looks like it came out great, I am glad it worked for you. Don't you think that a good build of Poly would hold up just as well? Probably would be just as difficult to apply, though :BangHead:

Dave:)

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Jim,

Really cool and useful project. :icon_thum Where did you get the insert from? Was it a pain to get it to fit right?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS