Something new every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I was crosscutting some 2x10 SYP with my SCMS today. I cut a kerf about 1/2" deep and the wood pinched the blade.

I had to use a rubber mallet to free the blade from the wood. After I extracted the blade, the cut was clearly less than a kerf wide.

I've had wood bind during rips all the time, but never on a crosscut.

You see something new every day !

-Mark

Glennbear

Glenn
YUP!! The first time I had that happen it was quite startling. Just proves the adage that if there is a way to warp, bend, kink, or otherwise act up SYP will do it :gar-La;

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Sometimes its amazing the amount of stress that can lay in a piece of wood until its cut. I have had kiln dried white oak split only on one side of a cut when crosscutting, but SYP is the worst. I won't even get into the experiences with pressure treated!!

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sometimes its amazing the amount of stress that can lay in a piece of wood until its cut. I have had kiln dried white oak split only on one side of a cut when crosscutting, but SYP is the worst. I won't even get into the experiences with pressure treated!!

Go
+1...........or Dricon Fire Retardant treated!

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
If Im going to crosscut a piece that I think may bind,I cut into the piece a little then back it out and slip it to the left or right about half the blade thickness+. Just repeat this till you get a little over halfway through the wood, then finish the cut in the center of your wide kerf. Just go back and square the end with 1 clean cut.I work alot with heart pine beams and and old thick cypress.This is about the best way to cut anything that is bowed or twisted.Hope it helps.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
If Im going to crosscut a piece that I think may bind,I cut into the piece a little then back it out and slip it to the left or right about half the blade thickness+. Just repeat this till you get a little over halfway through the wood, then finish the cut in the center of your wide kerf. Just go back and square the end with 1 clean cut.I work alot with heart pine beams and and old thick cypress.This is about the best way to cut anything that is bowed or twisted.Hope it helps.

I use the "wide kerf" trick too. I suspect any wood can have some built up potential, but SYP is the one that always gives me fits. I've had kicks from miter, circ, and table saws. ( I think there is a reminder in here about using safe practices in our woodworking.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS