Something Different For Me

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My special son Jerry Clark, kinda twisted my arm to try woodcarving, so I finally caved and gave it a shot. First project is the bird, second was a small bird, and third is a horse which is a work in progress. I took the bait and the hook, and sinker. Be gentle, I’m a new adict.
56357839-2416-4C03-A580-6CF3F78B1DA5.jpeg
AA186812-1157-44CA-8D20-6C49448437FF.jpeg
07081627-0D87-4CC1-8251-E49FEE73ECCD.jpeg
9A994053-C0B8-41CD-91A2-E58E76B12A11.jpeg
451A28F2-6217-4625-A511-0133071E840C.jpeg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bruce, in my opinion, good woodcarvers have an artistic gift and you have it! Given the fact that you are just starting out on the craving path, I see some really great things ahead.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My wife just started this kind of carving.
She hates the basswood I gave her. She says it has no life, it’s like carving soap.
She wants maple now.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My grandson had started this type of carving, started with the basswood. I threw in some maple, I don't think he's dented it yet

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' good! I keep thinking I want to carve some birds like that. Someday, Someday . . .
The only thing I'd suggest is that in the future you might want to hold off on carving the thinner parts, like the legs, until you're further along with the heavier top sections. I tend to get a bit heavy-handed sometimes so I try to keep the more fragile sections till last. If I were working on that horse I'm sure I'd find some way to break it off at the legs. Just be gentile finishing it up.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
That is amazing for a first try. You have a natural ability

I took a woodcarving class a few years ago primarily to learn to use the tools. My intention was furniture parts but the class focused on wood spirits. I was ashamed of my work and quickly realized, I have no artistic skills whatsoever! I can add this to my list of failed interests along with learning to play guitar

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Lookin' good! I keep thinking I want to carve some birds like that. Someday, Someday . . .
The only thing I'd suggest is that in the future you might want to hold off on carving the thinner parts, like the legs, until you're further along with the heavier top sections. I tend to get a bit heavy-handed sometimes so I try to keep the more fragile sections till last. If I were working on that horse I'm sure I'd find some way to break it off at the legs. Just be gentile finishing it up.
I did break one leg off--nothing worse than that snap sound and the crumbling feeling in your hand. Fortunately there was a bottle of WELDBOND on a shelf nearby and the horse is recovering nicely1 Thanks for the good advice Pete!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I did break one leg off--nothing worse than that snap sound and the crumbling feeling in your hand. Fortunately there was a bottle of WELDBOND on a shelf nearby and the horse is recovering nicely1 Thanks for the good advice Pete!
Horse breaks leg? Choot-em! Nice work my friend. :p

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks Fred, but when the horse broke his leg, I almost walked out behind the barn to shoot myself--fortunately my Roy Rogers cap gun misfired.:mad:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce, looking good. It looks like you've almost got all the wood off that doesn't look like a horse. Keep it up!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors