Somehow this seems very dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I can't see that it is any different than slinging a chainsaw around and probably safer since it is mounted to a frame. Besides, that thing is for timber framing and fence post mortises- not for cabinets or furniture.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would say that is an understatement. No guards, zilch. I would definitely be ER bound if I had this tool. It is scarier than a shaper with a 6" cutter.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like it. Let's combine a Radial Arm Saw, one of the most dangerous tools, with chain saw, another one of the most dangerous tools.

The Big Question: Is the overall danger the greater of these two, or the product. I.e.
Danger = max(Dras, Dchainsaw) or
Danger = Dras * Dchainsaw

Somehow, we need to figure out Soperator (Operator Stupidity) in this equation :rolf:

I think it looks scary. :saw:

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
I agree with Bas, except I think it is supposed to be SQ instead of Soperator. SQ is like IQ or EQ. It is Stupidity Quotient, which is the amount of intelligence the good Lord withheld from some folks.

Just remember: Intelligence has its limits, but stupidity is no so bounded!

Jim

M

McRabbet

I must agree with Alan. I think this can be used very safely and if you look at the illustrations, it does have a guard that covers the blade until it enters the wood.

It is configured so it is pushed into the timber, away from the operator side. It could be a great time saver and much safer than the Prazi portable beam cutter, which cannot cut a mortise. Just my .02 :saw:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Back many years ago when I HAD a RAS, I used it as an overarm router. I had a collet attachment that would hold 1/4 inch router bits. It cut well and was relatively safe but the configuration of the saw made it cumbersome to use.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I sold my inherited RAS within a year of acquisition. However, the manual include numerous accessories for RAS. And I'm pretty sure the "mortise" attachment has been around for quite a while. A quick Google search turned up a biscuit cutter attachment, horizontal boring attachment, router holder, and a 20" Performax S/T drum sander :eek:

Get yer safety gear on!
Roger

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
It is configured so it is pushed into the timber, away from the operator side. It could be a great time saver and much safer than the Prazi portable beam cutter, which cannot cut a mortise. Just my .02 :saw:

The PRAZI ain't any safer thats for sure. I've seen timber mortisers that clamp to the beam and lower in. I've also seen wild men go at it free hand with a 12" chain saw. So this is obviously safer than that for sure.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It looks to be safer than you initially perceive, but I'm still sure you'll be able to buy one on CL soon from a guy with the new nickname 'Stumpy'. I just don't like the fact you'd need to be constantly raising the arm post to make the mortise. Just too specialized for me.

Glennbear

Glenn
I sold my inherited RAS within a year of acquisition. However, the manual include numerous accessories for RAS. And I'm pretty sure the "mortise" attachment has been around for quite a while. A quick Google search turned up a biscuit cutter attachment, horizontal boring attachment, router holder, and a 20" Performax S/T drum sander :eek:

Get yer safety gear on!
Roger

I have an older RAS and I have a Sears Power Tool Manual from decades ago. The section on RAS has a lot of very scary operations and attachments as you say Roger. Thank goodness the RAS is not the "do it all" machine like they used to be. Like Dave O I intend to dedicate mine to dado cutting and leave the fancy stuff to the more adventuresome.:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS