Some Posts in This Thread Bother Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ok, first I'll say that I AM biased on this topic. But, the anti dealer replies in this thread should be removed immediately. I worked for independent companies for many years before going to a dealership environment twelve years ago. And there are major differences between the two. There are some great technical minds out there that know how to fix cars among independent shops, but the facts are that these folks that are slamming dealers in this thread DON'T know the training and overhead that a dealer MUST invest in, let alone the required equipment that we HAVE to purchase to PROPERLY diagnose and repair a problem the FIRST time. These statements are in my opinion inflammatory and have no business here. Like stating that if you have the flu, by all means go to the drug store and not the physician because he will charge more........ I will not moderate this thread due to my affiliation and employment in a dealership environment, but I think someone on the staff should have a look.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: This Thread Bothers Me

Maybe I'm missing something...I don't see any slamming.

TracyP

Tracy

Maybe I'm missing something...I don't see any slamming.

Read Mike Davis' posts. We don't allow anti lawyer posts so anti dealer posts should be no different.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Tracy...I've gotta be missing something...

I really don't feel it is bashing. To me it seems more of a statement. I'm guessing that Mike knows from experience that most dealerships don't have the insertion tool and he just made a comment about the mark up on the bearings. He didn't say anything about the shops charging too much.

But like I said, maybe I'm missing it.

TracyP

Tracy

This is the last reply I will make to this thread, it clearly states "don't take it to a dealer". Read it for the meaning that was implied.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

I've had good and bad experiences in independent shops and at dealerships. I know this thread is touching a nerve and I hate to see any of us upset about a post. I really don't, however, see any bashing here.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Tracy,

I can tell you are sensitive to this issue.

We don't tolerate bashing most professions. I'd suggest the Mike's post be edited to remove the anti-dealership wording.

120,000 miles is nothing for a subie, probably needs a tune up though. definately don't take it to a dealer, sounds like George has the plan. I wish I could find a great mechanic.

Removing that part does not undo Mike's main point.

I'd also say Mike's post is not the most cohesive and well written one. There is some gray area to read between the lines.

Only profession bashing we permit is computer people :XXcompute, as we all know what an evil lot we are :kamahlitu :gar-Bi

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Tracy, when I questioned the following post:

And soon there will be no sharp knives, scissors will be banned and we will all walk around in airtight bubbles!

It really would be funny though if he lost all rights to a patent, serve SS right.

I got the following reply:

Dennis, I don't see how this is becoming personal. It is within the posting guidelines, no one is being attacked, it is not political or religious in nature, and does not, according to the description of the off topic forum, have to be woodworking related.

We have to eat with the same spoon we serve with.

woodArtz

New User
Bob

Sorry, I don't see the bashing. I understand your sensitivity, but folks are always going to look for a better deal.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Tracy, I think that if you think dealers are being portrayed unfairly, then reply in the thread and state your opinion. It doesn't have to be ugly, just present your point of view. Just because you're a moderator doesn't mean you can't participate in the discussion. I think a civilized discussion with different viewpoints, arguments and background is what makes the forums work and interesting.

TracyP

Tracy

OK, maybe, maybe I over reacted but I don't think so. I won't post in the original thread because I won't step on George L's toes. When someone steps on your livelihood in a thread you too will be ****ed. Matter closed.:argue:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

I get it all the time from people who think contractors are a ripoff - and some are. They try to get around the system and do the work themselves (without permits) and when they get caught they either come limping back to us or they are too doggone proud to admit it and will never speak to you again. They almost always spend more money in the long run than if they had called us and they don't even figure in the aggravation & inconvenience the go through.
Heck, a lot of the posts on here are people doing DIY. That puts somebody in my profession out of work, yet I try & offer professional advice to them. It's like cutting my own throat - or someone in my trade's throat.
Think about it.....

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

I can see where Tracy is coming from but I am unsure how to best handle. I believe if we moderate or close the post it will appear that we are heavy handed if we don't we have a member who was offended by a comment made. The latter is a fact.

What I would prefer to do is to let this thread die a natural death but only because they did not single out a brand or a dealership. Then I would like us to continue to monitor for these comments and take action if we see repeated attacks.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Tracy, I think that if you think dealers are being portrayed unfairly, then reply in the thread and state your opinion. It doesn't have to be ugly, just present your point of view. Just because you're a moderator doesn't mean you can't participate in the discussion. I think a civilized discussion with different viewpoints, arguments and background is what makes the forums work and interesting.

I don't often make comments in the Mods and Admins section, but I will make an exception in this instance. Please take these comments as coming from Scott the retired business exec, and not Scott the BOD member.

I concur that the post should have been left up, if for no other reason than the potential conflict of interest in responding to a post that was not clearly in violation of site policy. The response from the Mod team reinforces that y'all are well in synch with this perspective.

I also concur with Bas's comments; the way that you fight "bad" information is with "good" information.

It is entirely appropriate to respond to the thread with positive information about dealer worksmanship, coming from the perspective of educating - not debating - the audience.

I find that when I am in this situation, if I can "assume positive intent" on the part of the other party, my response usually is logical, rational, and presented in such a way that I'm sharing information that was probably not known, as opposed to being in rebuttal. This usually makes my response more well received as well as effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS