Some pix of Todays Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
HI Everybody, it's been awhile since I've been here been working out of town, I hate that. Any how heres a few pix of some of todays kill.:)
4/4 X 10" X 11' Cherry, Man thats some pretty stuff.

DSCF1502.jpg

DSCF1505-1.jpg

DSCF1506.jpg

J

jeff...

Dude you sawed it all wrong!!!, it's to nice. Your supossed to bugger it all up or your gonna give the rest of us saw mill guys a bad name. Just kidding, nice looking Cherry and it's looking like your saw is sawing good too.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:-D I have two more cherry logs to go and I'll be done with what cherry I have. I don't really have any plans for it. But it's gonna be something purdy some day. I'll probably keep some and sell the rest to the highest bidder. :icon_thum

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Dude you sawed it all wrong!!!, it's to nice. Your supossed to bugger it all up or your gonna give the rest of us saw mill guys a bad name. Just kidding, nice looking Cherry and it's looking like your saw is sawing good too.

Yeah Jeff the mill is cutting great. I just put my first Timberwolf blade on and I like it good so far.:icon_thum

J

jeff...

Yeah Jeff the mill is cutting great. I just put my first Timberwolf blade on and I like it good so far.:icon_thum

I'm glad you found a good blade for your mill. I broke down and bought an entire box (14) monkey blades. Out of the box they are the sharpest blade I've got yet. They cut very well "when sharp". But with my mill there are a lot of things I don't like about them for example, when you notice the least hint of of the band getting dull, take it off the mill and do it quickly, like after you finish the cut your on. They go from just starting to get dull to unusable in an instant, meaning they will not satisfactory complete the next cut. That and the tooth is so narrow, I can only get 3 sharpings out of them verse 7 or 8 with Lenox Woodmaster C. One thing I can say Monkey blades are great cutting poplar, cedar and pine they are as good as anything out there, but for hardwood on my mill they really lack in performance. I will not buy anymore monkey blades, and am ordering a fresh box of Woodmaster C's next week. With a high set around 16~18 thousands and fresh sharping, I can throw chunks (not saw dust) out of hardwood logs with Woodmaster C's and to me that says a lot. Monkey blades in hardwood do about 8~10 cuts and it's time sharpen again, they are so thin they don't hold there set very well either, I think it's some pretty soft steel, because they theeth are very easy to set. I'll use the monkey blades for soft wood because that's what they seem to best on and the woodmaster C's for hard wood. Once I run out of Monkey blades that'll be it for me. I should have never strayed, once you find the right blade for your mill, stick with it, oh well live and learn, it's only money, right?

J

jeff...

I picked up 2 WBC trees today the logs are 24' long and rather small in diameter (12 and 14"). Cut one of the logs into 3 8' sections and milled the top section, by the time I got it cleaned up in to a cant it was 6x9, so I sliced it into 8 4/4 x 6. It's not bad looking stuff but not near as nice as what you have there Randy. Cherry is getting really hard to come by and the logs are outrageous. If you got a good source for cherry let me know I would like to scrounge up enough for 1000 BF and take to Scott to kiln dry.

Thanks

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:crybaby2: Sorry Jeff, thats all I have of the cherry. I do love that stuff. The last cherry log I started on was full of some kind of steel. I did catch it before killing a blade. :eusa_clap But that stinks cause I had two people that wanted that lumber in a good way.:eusa_booh The guy I get it from only has it from time to time. Wish I could get it on a regular basis:-D I have three Big Hickory logs but I don't want to start on them untill I know I can get rid of the lumber.

J

jeff...

Well keep me in the loop, maybe between the two of us we could scrape together enough 4/4 cherry to make it worth while to kiln dry. Cherry logs are so freaking expensive (when you can find em) and when you do find em it's not like you have much to choose from either. It's ashame one of yours was packed with trash. What motivates people to pound stuff in trees, I'll never know :roll:. I also left a 24" diameter cherry log today, it was dead when they cut it, it was checked so bad I wouldn't take it.

Hickory is awesome looking wood, not sure why there is not a lot of demand for it. Try not to let em sit to long they are easiest to cut when their fresh off the stump, but a real pita when they start to dry.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hey Jeff, I think I'm gonna let the hickory alone. You are right about it getting harder as it sits, plus it's checking real bad. I took a hammer with me and there was an oak and a hickory laying together, I hit the oak, clunk clunk. I hit the hickory and got ping ping. Sounds like I was hitting a piece of steel :rolf: . Think I'll just save my blades.
BTW that was 2 out of 3 cherry logs that had steel in them. Sure took a beating on them. :eusa_thin

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!!!! That cherry is absolutely beautiful. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I hope you have something special in mind for it. Cherry seems to be a little hit or miss in eastern NC. Color and grain are not very consistent.

Nice haul.

Chuck

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi all, I just got done shipping 4, 4/4" X 10" X 4' cherry boards and that will be the last lumber I ship EVER again.8-O Cost $38.00 to ship 56 lbs of it. E-bay is NOT the way to sell lumber :lol: I still made a few dollars but not enough to continue doing the E-bay thing. Recon I'll have to find another way to sell my lumber. I only sold it on E-bay, because it was so highly figured, I thought it would bring a good price. I wasn't thinking though, as the people an E-bay want everything, for just under free. Live and Learn, Live and Learn.:eusa_doh:
Ya'll Have a Blessed day.

J

jeff...

Hi all, I just got done shipping 4, 4/4" X 10" X 4' cherry boards and that will be the last lumber I ship EVER again.8-O Cost $38.00 to ship 56 lbs of it. E-bay is NOT the way to sell lumber :lol: I still made a few dollars but not enough to continue doing the E-bay thing. Recon I'll have to find another way to sell my lumber. I only sold it on E-bay, because it was so highly figured, I thought it would bring a good price. I wasn't thinking though, as the people an E-bay want everything, for just under free. Live and Learn, Live and Learn.:eusa_doh:
Ya'll Have a Blessed day.

Geeze where did it go Iraq?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Recon I'll have to find another way to sell my lumber. I only sold it on E-bay, because it was so highly figured, I thought it would bring a good price.

Do you ever list on CraigsList? Might be a consideration. Still a bunch of cheapies, but another possible market. :eusa_thin

Plus ... start drying that stuff & we can talk! I just don't have the storage, or capability, to store wet lumber yet. :BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS