Some Old Iron. Porter Cable Cast Iron Routing Table - Gone

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I saved this one from going to the recyclers by giving the guy hauling it there $100 for it. I am selling this cast iron Porter Cable router table with what looks like a Porter Cable router still in it. Not sure of the operation of the router. Believe this to be somewhere from the late 30's to the early 50's. Has surface rust and some flaking paint but everything appears to be there for the fence and adjustments. The guy I got it from told me the router in it worked, for what that's worth. Looks like it was part of a production shop at one time with a machine number tag on it. Just looking to get back the $100 I spent on it. Located in Gastonia.

20230723_163828.jpg
20230723_163841.jpg
20230723_163900.jpg
20230723_163912.jpg
20230723_163939.jpg

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Matt, that looks to be a very robust router table...one thing is certain, they don't make them like that anymore. I look forward to seeing not only the before pic, but the "after" one as well!

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Having been to the scrap metal yard, I've learned that there is Cast Iron and Mixed material. If the metal has anything attached to it the yard discounts the already low cents/pound prices. If you offer the same $/pound as the yard, you save him the delivery, gas and unloading effort - those places are Self-Serve! I'd guess seventeen cents a pound (or less left 'as-is' and considered Mixed).

Interesting piece, however - find the right buyer and you could make a decent profit. Pressure wash it and put it on Craigslist in Asheville and similar places @ $250 under Antiques and Tools. See if you get any bites - it's free to advertise and a sucker's due to be born any minute now.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Interesting piece, however - find the right buyer and you could make a decent profit.

Not interested in making a profit on it. Just resell for what I have in it monetarily and hopefully see someone restore it or repurpose it back to a current use. It would be a shame for something this sturdy and well designed to get dumped in the scrap metal heap.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Matt, you could go over to the Old Wood Working Machinery site or Vintage Machinery and look up your find.They might have some literature that would have your table and give you an idea of its vintage.

Roy G

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
That is a cool piece of history!

Here is a similar one for reference:

Edit: if Jim doesn’t get it I’m definitely interested!
Yeah, that pretty much agrees with my quick initial research on it. Though the site I saw called it a "routing table" and not a shaper. It's definitely heavy and stable enough for shaper bits but the table length is kind of undersized for industrial use for that. And this thing was originally made industrial for sure.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Its highly probable that the table is bored and countersunk for a PC model 514 router. Maybe the later routers use that same hole pattern. I suspect someone with a mill could drill and countersink that table for a 690 type router base. That's what I would do if I had it.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I’ll take it if it still available. Can pick up this weekend some time. I’m in Catawba, NC.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS