Some new old tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I recently bought a bunch of rusty old tools on ebay - my $40 brought me 4 braces, 1 egg beater drill, various bits, a block plane, and various wrenches. I decided to let science help me out in the de-rusting process - I started with two volunteers from the lot:

IMG_1028.jpg

A Miller Falls no 7 hand drill

IMG_3178.jpg

A Stanley X3 6 inch brace

I wired them up like Frankenstein's monster, filled a tank with water / soda solution, and let the current flow:
IMG_3182.jpg Wired up!
IMG_3184.jpgBoil, Boil, Toil, and Trouble!

After several hours of hydrogen generation, I cleaned off the tools, scrubbed them a bit with nylon scrubbies and finished with a light wire brushing to take care of the stubborn bits. I repainted the eggbeater red, and sanded, oiled the wooded parts on the eggbeater, and sanded / reapplied an ebony finish for the X3. I think they came out pretty nice:

IMG_3190.jpg and IMG_3191.jpg.

I did another of the braces yesterday (a 12 inch Millers Fall with nice rosewood handles). I am ready to make some holes.

rsaucedo

New User
Ras
Those turned out great. Is he process for doing this out there on the forum? I'd like to try this sometime.

Ras

schnable

New User
Andrew
Oh sorry - probably should have mentioned that. Do a search for electrolysis - you will find lots of hits.

MtnWing

New User
Dennis
Wow, those look great. Makes me want to work on some of the tools that I inherited from my grandfather.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
this looks awesome. great job on restoring these old tools. good to know this process of how you did it. thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS