some kind of glitch - mine or yours??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey all- you guys do an amazing and too often thankless job - you are appreciated!

I have something going on. Didn't worry about it the first time, now it happened again.
When replying on a thread, I got " stuck". I kept getting a new blank page with some
writing on the top that said something like

Only variables passed by reference...
then something about line 389.

I finally was able to refresh the page and get out of the 'loop'.
Not sure if this is my computer, I use google Chrome and have for year on here with no problem,
or is there something internally happening.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
There are several board bugs that are tricky to find. This one just popped up when I was doing a simple search:

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have seen similar. I imagine the update we recently did is causing some hiccups. Is it preventing you from searching? or is it just cosmetic for your purposes? We can look into it. I will speak with the smart folk and find out what we need to do.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Zach, the glitch I'm getting doesn't cause any real issues. It's just kinda annoying. It takes a few extra clicks to get back out of it, but other than that it doesn't seem to interfere w/ anything else.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
The warnings that have been mentioned in this thread all relate to ongoing changes in both vBulletin and the underlying PHP language that vBulletin is written in as PHP is in the process of deprecating a number of historically very common practices in PHP programming.

It is important to know that none of these warnings are actual errors of any sort and will not interfere with the normal operation of the site -- with the sole exception of possible page formatting glitches -- as they are just advisories that things will change (and eventually break) in a future release of PHP.

In the previous update of vBulletin I had manually fixed a handful of such warnings only because they had affected page layout and formatting on a couple of pages that might affect members and/or Staff, but I have seen no such instances in this most recent patch with the exception of the "Search" feature. The only place I have seen or heard reports of these warnings as of late has been on the intermediate pages that are typically displayed by web browsers for at most a couple of seconds before the target page is reloaded and are of no consequence -- with the notable exception of the "Search" pages, which are affected on the main pages, though only the Advanced Search page is severely affected formatting-wise in any way. These interim pages are of no consequence as they only inform the user that their submission or request was successful and the next page will be loaded momentarily -- many users will never even notice these pages if their web connection and browser are sufficiently fast as they may only be visible for as little as a few hundredths of a second. I have not seen these warnings appear on any normal page that I have visited as yet.

In time I will disable the warnings (now that vBulletin has finally introduced the option, provided the feature works) but only once I am certain that there are no actual errors anywhere as I don't want any real errors to be masked by turning off errors and warnings.

Andy,

The warnings you have seen are related to the above.

However, your getting "stuck" on pages is generally the result of an unreliable (even if only transiently) network connection. The pages you refer to getting stuck on are the intermediate confirmation pages that most often are unseen by members because they are loaded and then redirected from so quickly after a completed submission, often visible for as little as a few hundredths of a second with a fast enough browser and internet connection. The warnings should never result in a blank page and do not prevent the remainder of the page from loading in and of themselves as they are purely informational in nature and not actual errors.

Although the interruption in internet service could occur anywhere on the internet between the server and the member, this is particularly common when using wireless networking (either WiFi or cellular). The TCP/IP protocol that the web runs over is pretty good at hiding unreliable connections (even wireless) up to a point as it provides for automatic retransmission of lost packets, but if lost packet counts grow too high and too frequent then even the retransmission requests start getting lost and either the PC or the server, or both, will begin to encounter problems when trying to reassemble a complete transmission stream from out-of-order and repeatedly missing packets. This can lead to tremendous slow downs and even outright hangs (e.g. your browser getting "stuck") when one side or the other times out and gives up on the connection with no reliable way to signal the other end that the connection has been dropped at the opposite end (due to lost packets).

In the case of WiFi there are countless events that can make a seemingly reliable WiFi connection intermittently unreliable -- including the use of BlueTooth devices, cordless phones, a microwave oven (which is the whole reason the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are of no commercial interest), or even a neighbor's recent installation of a new WiFi access point of their own (especially newer MIMO '802.11n' type access points) -- all of these devices operate within the exact same 2.4GHz band as typical WiFi. Additionally, most any home will also have weak or dead spots in WiFi coverage where such dropouts also become more likely. These are often very difficult to troubleshoot and are just one of the things we have to learn to live with when using wireless network connections as these wireless bands are essentially unregulated and devices are perfectly free to interfere with one another.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :)

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Ethan: Let me know what, if anything I can do when the need arises to do so please.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Ethan if I am understanding what you are saying "stuff happens -keep an eye on it". Did you get that from my mechanic??

Seriously that all (mostly) makes pretty good sense. I haven't had or made any changes in computer location etc but interference can come from any where within or even outside of my 'control zone'. It has not happened in a while so maybe whatever it was has passed.

I clean my computer every time I get off - cookies history etc. but thanks for that thought.

Appreciate the replies and what you guys do!

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Ethan if I am understanding what you are saying "stuff happens -keep an eye on it". Did you get that from my mechanic??

Basically, yes. And whether you trust it all depends upon whether you trust your mechanic... but it can be good advice when coming from a trusted source. :)

As an admin much of the job of issue resolution involves looking for the patterns. Generally speaking server-side issues tend to be either steady-state issues or issues that progressively deteriorate if left to their own -- very seldom do such issues spontaneously resolve themselves without admin help (with the rare exception of a third-party or power fault triggering a server reboot).

Practically speaking, that means that when you see a few members experiencing a problem there is a high likelihood that the issue lies outside the server -- especially if the issue can not be reproduced on demand and does not appear to worsen with time -- unless, of course, they were the vanguard and first to encounter the problem. On the other hand, if you start seeing a lot of members commenting on a crippling or annoying issue or sever activity seems to have dropped off precipitously -- or if you can reproduce the issue on demand -- then there is still a chance that the problem lies outside the server but the odds have suddenly shifted much more to the side of there being a likely server side issue in need of resolution. Either way you try to reproduce the issue but if you can't then you generally don't invest a lot of time and labor unless you see more reports of problems or things seem to be deteriorating more significantly (or you find a way to reproduce such) -- i.e. you "keep an eye on things" for awhile to see how things play out and most of the time there is no problem. If a problem becomes evident then you address it appropriately If not then you are grateful for the member(s) giving you a "heads up" that there may be an issue and even more grateful that there was no issue -- or at least that it was only minor! :)

Other times you already know exactly what is happening (e.g. the difference between interpreter "warnings" versus "errors") and it is more self-evident.

But a lot of it involves checking the server's overall health and then waiting and seeing how things play out and if they resolve themselves or require further action. Oftentimes the real risk can be taking "corrective" action when there is nothing to correct which can cripple a server that was otherwise functioning just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS