Some Christmas Ornaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
From Thanksgiving to Christmas I was busy mading reindeer and Christmas ornaments on my scroll saw.
The attached photos are only a sample. I made 73 reindeer and several dozen ornaments of various styles. I only made a few of the smallest ones shown. They are quite a challenge to get right.

The reindeer were given to children, cashiers, waitresses, nurses, receptionists, etc. anyone who helped me during the month of December. The men didn't appreciate them, except for other woodworkers, so most of them were given to the women and children that I came across or who helped me in my shopping efforts. I would wish them a Merry Christmas and hold out my hand with a reindeer in it. When they would reach out, I would drop the reindeer into their hand. It made a lot of people happy. I've done this other years, but not to the extent of this year. I have no reindeer left. The ornaments were given to neighbors and close relatives. A few even made it to our living room tree.

Charley

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
From Thanksgiving to Christmas I was busy mading reindeer and Christmas ornaments on my scroll saw.
The attached photos are only a sample. I made 73 reindeer and several dozen ornaments of various styles. I only made a few of the smallest ones shown. They are quite a challenge to get right.

The reindeer were given to children, cashiers, waitresses, nurses, receptionists, etc. anyone who helped me during the month of December. The men didn't appreciate them, except for other woodworkers, so most of them were given to the women and children that I came across or who helped me in my shopping efforts. I would wish them a Merry Christmas and hold out my hand with a reindeer in it. When they would reach out, I would drop the reindeer into their hand. It made a lot of people happy. I've done this other years, but not to the extent of this year. I have no reindeer left. The ornaments were given to neighbors and close relatives. A few even made it to our living room tree.

Charley

REALLY nice!!

I especially like the angel? (the largest white one below the reindeer in the first picture)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Charley. I remember seeing them at our last lunch in Greensboro. Did you give them as Christmas presents?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Thanks Hank and Bill,

Most of the ornaments went to neighbors and close family relatives. A few went on our living room tree. Every year I try to put some back on our tree, but then before the tree comes down someone will come to visit and see them. I usually end up giving each of these visitors one or two off the tree, so before the next Christmas there isn't enough for our tree and I need to make more again. I've got the reindeer down to about 10 minutes a piece. The larger ornaments take 1-2 hours each, but I usually stack cut them, so I can usually get 4-5 out of one cutting. Each ornament is actually 2 pieces of wood with similar patterns, but one has a slot cut down from the top and the other has a slot cut up from the bottom, so they fit together and get glued. All of the designs for these larger ornaments came from older issues of scroll saw magazines. Each little ornament is cut from a solid 1" X 1" block of wood and they are quite a challenge to make. ScottM helped me get started making these little ones (Thank you Scott).

Charley

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
:eusa_thin note to self in my daytimer - December of 2015 get to Charlies for the Christmas party!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Hank,

Why not make your own. I've seen what you make and I know you can do it. You have a whole year to practice before that big tree day.

Charley

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice work Charley. Even better your Random Acts of Kindness.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Very cool, I had never thought of handing out reindeer as you did, Great idea!

I really like the ornaments, i'll have to start looking for old issues of scroll saw magazine

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 to Charley's random acts of kindness. At our last Greensboro lunch Charley had these w/ him for show & tell. He gave one of the reindeer to the young lady who was our server that day. You should have seen her face light up. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS