SOLD - Jet 1642EVS Wood Lathe

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
This lathe is capable of turning a 16" diameter bowl or spindles up to 42" long. It has 2 speed ranges providing high torque for large bowls - 50 - 1200 rpm and a lower torque range of 120 - 3200 rpm for smaller work. A belt shift selects the range. The digital readout shows the actual rpm. The electronic variable speed provides accurate control.

The headstock is movable and can be positioned anywhere along the bed. This is helpful when turning bowls with the headstock toward the right side enabling you to stand at the end of the lathe and face the work.

I have turned a number of bowls from fresh wood (hence discoloration on wall and white paint) without taxing the motor. I have also turned delicate finials and small items.

The lathe is equipped with a drive center, live tailstock center, knockout bar, faceplate and 12" tool rest.

Jet had replaced this lathe in their catalog with the JWL-1640EVS which is essentially the same lathe with a 2" shorter bed. I was told this was to meet a size restriction for shipping to avoid oversize rates. The new model is currently selling for $3000. I am asking half that amount - $1500.

I also have a collection of turning tools and accessories that I will be selling alongside the machine.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

'

Last edited:

StanKuhlman

New User
Stan
Good afternoon,
Could you verify that the motor is 120V? And, can you define the motor's current rating, please?
Thanks!

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
Just wondering where are you located? I’m in Hendersonville - just just south of Asheville WNC.
can I assume this motor can also be wired for 220vac. Would be much more efficient that way.
but 110 vac would work if needed. 😎
So, yes.. I’m interested. Would be a nice upgrade from my antique Delta “torpedo” vintage relic.
TIA: zmrotu@mac.com.

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
The motor is 120 V - 1 1/2 hp.

As far as I can tell, it does not run off 220v but I haven't had a problem at 110.

I am located in Cary, NC

iclark

Ivan
User
I still own this same model. It has been a workhorse for my family and we have all enjoyed turning on it. I got mine from a WC classroom when they rotated their classroom lathes. So, it has seen a reasonable amount of use and is still going strong.

The headstock on this model does not rotate. So you do not need to worry about misalignment in that direction. Taking the tailstock off and moving the headstock near the right end is really nice for doing the insides of bowls.

teesquare

T
Senior User
. t would be worthwhile for anyone interested in this to call Jet/Powermatic Tech Support and ask....IIRC...this can be wired for 220. These are very well built machines and frankly - a clone ( at least in the design/engineering ) of the Powermatic 3520 series. Just a tad smaller. But very capable and generally vary reliable designs.

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
What is the headstock thread size?
I looked at all the docs., and it dosen’t spec. that. Thanks.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
And, Trend blade cleaner will make cleaning the lathe fairly easy, OBTW.

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
Hi MIKE,
Ive thought it over… & I would like to buy your lathe! 👍👍👍😎. You have a phone? Or send me a private message. Tx. Four-Oh-fore-558 two-fore-zero1

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS