Sold a wood burning

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Several years ago I did a small (8x10) burning of this picture that I took at Holden Beach. After showing it and other burnings to friends and family, they said that I should try to sell something. I've done houses, dogs, landscapes, fish, candle holders, turned bowls, portraits (which are REALLY hard and not my favorite). I told them that I didn't know if any would actually sell. Then an old Navy buddy made the same suggestion recently so I said "What the heck" I'll give it a shot.

I redid the original burning, but this time I decided to go bigger. This one is 16" x 16" (18" x 18" with the frame). It took me 15 hours to do the burning and another few hours to make the frame and apply finish.

I sold it to a friend for $200. I know that it isn't a lot for the time that I have in it, but at least it will help support my hobby. If I decide to do another, I'm going to post it on a Holden Beach Facebook page that I belong to and will sell it for more.

Pardon the picture quality.

PXL_20220123_163307957.jpg

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Wow, did you do it by hand/sight, or transfer the image to the wood somehow? That detail is amazing.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I like that a lot. I especially like the way you captured the reflections in the water.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Wow, did you do it by hand/sight, or transfer the image to the wood somehow? That detail is amazing.

I had the picture printed on plain paper at Office Depot and traced the image on to the wood with graphite paper. I only trace about 2 square inches at a time, otherwise it becomes overwhelming. I also move around a little so I'm not working on the same thing for long periods of time. My eyes get buggy! o_O

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Preston that is beautiful but $10 an hour? Worth at least twice maybe four times that. Trust me I sell some of my scroll saw work. Pricing is the hardest thing to do.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Preston. congratulations on your first sale! It is a beautiful piece of art and as Pete mentioned, I really like the scene reflected in the water. I have no idea how to value art, but I think whoever bought it got an excellent deal!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Nice looking piece! You might also think of showing (consignment) at Bank of the Arts in New Bern. I'm not affiliated, but member Karl Koch has shown some of his amazing work there.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Preston that is beautiful but $10 an hour? Worth at least twice maybe four times that. Trust me I sell some of my scroll saw work. Pricing is the hardest thing to do.
I can see that price to a friend, but I have to agree that four to five times that for retail.

ssmith

New User
Scott
That is amazing! You must have to skip your morning coffee before you work on those.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS