Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Re: 11+ Hours later

IMG_07471.jpg

Who made the solar beer can heater?

The Guy on the Right, He is new to NCWW....dlrion.....Dan Rawlings.... He added his shop at the last minute and I am very greatful, it made for a great end to the Goldsboro Shop crawl. :notworthy:

He showed off his wonderful scroll saw puzzles, had a old Mail box with a chimney that he burns wood in to keep his shop warm....A blazing 70 degress (80 over the box). He is a great member to NCWW already, and has some great ideas.

Sure missed you Jeff.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Hey Guys,

What a great day crawling around and seeing everybody's shop. I had a awesome time, and really enjoyed having some people over... That is the most vehicles we have ever had in my driveway!

Thanks for lunch Charlie, I owe you one. Thanks for the spalted Maple Gofor. Matt, I already made something from your cedar... I have to finish it, then I can give it back to you.

Earl, Gofor, Charlie and Colonel Kleber can all expect me to come pester them at their shops sometime soon.

This was SO much better than sitting at home and letting the TV tell me what to think.

"If you are not making dust, your gathering it... "

Can you point me to some plans, construction details on the beer can solar heater? What do you think about it, any comments?

Thanks

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Jeff, I have some of these plans bookmarked on my other computer... I should be able to get those to you this afternoon!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Good searching Ken, the Colorado Windpower plan is the one I had bookmarked.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Now I just have to come up with enough cans to cover the roof, and I can quit buying propane for the heater. I see a lot of "soda" in my future. :rotflm::rotflm:

I definitely want to build one or twelve, I just have to figure out how to fit it into the projects already on the schedule.

Dragon

New User
David
Now I just have to come up with enough cans to cover the roof, and I can quit buying propane for the heater. I see a lot of "soda" in my future. :rotflm::rotflm:

I definitely want to build one or twelve, I just have to figure out how to fit it into the projects already on the schedule.

Matt, we need to hire some helpers just to read our project lists huh? :rolf:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't know 'bout using beer cans, but I got a lotta cat food cans that oughta make a nice 'un!:gar-La;

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now that is a heck of an idea :widea:
But I refuse to give up my bottled beer :mrgreen:

Roger

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

You can always pickm up on the side of the road:rotflm:.
I guess I need to stop crushing my drink cans.I already save them up for tool monet:gar-Bi.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Just went and checked the recording thermometer on our "large volume solar collector." Today, it only got to 104, yesterday, it was up to 106. Anything above 80 is collectable. But because system hasn't been running for several years, dust in collector rocks is a problem. I need some nice 65+ days, so I can air system out and get rid of the dust odor. It doesn't help any that my wife is allergic to most eveything, except hard work.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just went and checked the recording thermometer on our "large volume solar collector." Today, it only got to 104, yesterday, it was up to 106. Anything above 80 is collectable. But because system hasn't been running for several years, dust in collector rocks is a problem. I need some nice 65+ days, so I can air system out and get rid of the dust odor. It doesn't help any that my wife is allergic to most eveything, except hard work.

pics? You can't gloat without pics, Bruce

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ahhhhhh, serendipity.
It's the thing that makes Shop Crawls interesting. While everybody went to Dan's shop looking to see WWing they found another gem as well.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
It's like life & a box of chocolates; you never know what you'll get with any of them.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

How the heck did I post this, without posting this?:icon_scra

I mean I replied to Jeff's comment, but I didn't actually make this thread. Wow that is weired.:eusa_thin

Well Thanks to whoever did it. :icon_thum This is one cool thread. :eusa_clap

dlrion

New User
Dan
I built the one in the picture, and it is REALLY HOT... I have some pictures that I will post tomorrow. One of the test runs I did got up to 168 degrees, that was with air constantly blowing out of it.

I didn't get plans for it, I researched it on youtube, and though about it a whole lot, then I just made it. My wife got me the cans from the recycling center, I still have like 6 bags left. She says they looked at her really funny when she told them she needed six bags of cans for her husband.

This is a pretty time consuming job, first you have to pull the tops off the cans, then you have to make holes or fins in them... I drilled 3 holes in the bottom of every one with a unibit. I glued mine together with Heat Resistant Chimney calk, I even made a little jig to hold them together while they dried.

The killer with this is timing, with the trees around my property, the sun does not shine on the panel until about 9, no hot shop until 10.

I have a TERRIBLE shop with NO insulation, just 1/2 inch OSB boards. When I am getting good sun, it brings the temperature up 35 to 40 degrees from ambient. It would be GREAT if you have a shop with good insulation.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
You can always pickm up on the side of the road:rotflm:.
I guess I need to stop crushing my drink cans.I already save them up for tool money:gar-Bi.

Hey Robert,

I recycle the cans from my work for tool money too. I don't drink soda or anything with a can and I am still making money from aluminum cans~! :eusa_danc I do only get about $12 to $15 every 3 months or so. :icon_thum

I have seen at the trash recycling center a huge dumpster of aluminum cans. Now that would be some major tool money. :eek:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

How the heck did I post this, without posting this?:icon_scra

I mean I replied to Jeff's comment, but I didn't actually make this thread. Wow that is weired.:eusa_thin

Well Thanks to whoever did it. :icon_thum This is one cool thread. :eusa_clap
Probably a Moderator decision to move or edit the thread since the issue seemed to take on a life of its own & needed to be in an more appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS