So, jointer beds REALLY don't like summer rain?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Jointer.jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That one is only worth one, "Doh!" :eusa_doh:

Well, I have a garage shop. I didn't engage my brain before placing my jointer right at the garage door.:drunken_s With some of the good rains we have gotten, the poor thing has been exposed to a little rain on the occassions when I forgot to close the garage door.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on the best way to clean this up? I have a project coming up that I will need the jointer for. The rust is actually surface rust. Once I take care of it, I think I'll find another location in my shop for it.:eusa_thin

Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Aww, man I hate when that happens. You can use some WD-40 and 000 steel wood mixed with some elbow grease to get it out or go with some of the commercial preparations like Boeshild or Topcoat.
I am gonna have to work on my TS top, I tend to sweat on it :eusa_doh: :BangHead: So I will be interested in what you finally use :icon_thum

Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
You call that jointer rust? :lol: This is what a rusty jointer looks like:

What you have will clean up well with steel wool and WD 40 as Dave suggests or even scotchbrite and WD 40.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto on Dave and Steve's comments. Don't waste your money on the Empire cleaner. I think it is WD40 repackaged and triple the price.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Rust Free available at Woodcraft

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=984

is good stuff too. It doesn't take a lot of elbow grease unless it is severly pitted. It takes surface rust off with minimal staining.

Once the rust if off put some Boeshield T-9 on it and it will help alot. It doesn't take a lot and requires to be rubbed in a little. You can get the 2 as a set for about $35

Thanks
Dave

dtomasch

New User
David
Hi there
I inherited my grandfather's Walker-Turner tablesaw and when I got it it was very neglected. I used naval jelly to clean the top and actually reveal the swirl machine marks and a great sheen in about 20 minutes. It is available at any hardware store or Home store. It's a pink jelly that you spread on a thin layer then wait and rinse well. I then finish with paste wax and keep it slick. Works great. Good luck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Naval Gel is basically phosphoric acid which is a very good rust remover. Use acid resistant gloves and eye protection when using it.
A couple of notes of caution:
1. Don't use it on high strength steel. Acid on high-strength steel will cause hydrogen embrittlement which will make the metal susceptible to fracture. (ie don't use it on your trailer axles, wheel lug bolts, etc.)
2. If you use steel wool to agitate it, dispose of the steel wool in a water filled container. The acid will make the steel wool very flammable, and may cause it to self-ignite. The same caution goes with the rags you use to clean it up/remove it with. They will be very flammable after they dry due to the oxidizing nature of the acid.
Go

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Unless I go the electrolysis route, a cup brush on an angle grinder is the only way I'm tackling rust from now on. I used one to remove the semi-severe rust from my table saw top and it's absurdly easy. Sure, if you sit in the same spot for 10 min you could dig a hole, but I found it extremely forgiving.
045242145300_3.jpg

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Thanks everyone! I ended up taking DaveO's suggestion with WD-40 and steel wool. I guess it was pretty lightly rusted, based on some of the pics you guys included.

Thanks all for your help!!!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You want to see rust? Go to Craigslist for Triangle area, today, 07/07 and look a pictures of table saw for sale in Garner. A real rust bucket!

M

McRabbet

woodguy1975 said:
Now this is rusty. It is rust, but it won't be for long. :)

be_1.JPG

So when do you make the "Rust Bucket Run"? Holler if you need a small furniture dolly :roll: !!

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
McRabbet said:
So when do you make the "Rust Bucket Run"? Holler if you need a small furniture dolly :roll: !!

Rob

I'm heading over tomorrow to get it. :) I already have a pallet jack ready and waiting for it. I'm picking it up with a rollback. Since the guy has it on a sled that is the only way to get it loaded. :)

I'll refurbish it in my garage and then move it to the shop when I have it ready to go. I don't have room to refurb it and run classes. I'm going have it purring like a kitten. :)

Thanks,

John

M

McRabbet

woodguy1975 said:
I'm heading over tomorrow to get it. :) I already have a pallet jack ready and waiting for it. I'm picking it up with a rollback. Since the guy has it on a sled that is the only way to get it loaded. :)

I'll refurbish it in my garage and then move it to the shop when I have it ready to go. I don't have room to refurb it and run classes. I'm going have it purring like a kitten. :)

Thanks,

John
You missed my offer for a "small furniture dolly" -- I was thinking along the lines of one like this:
You never know when you need help from your friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors