So Fein

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I received my "open box discounted" Fein FMM 250Q MultiMaster Tool today from CPO. It arrived in only 2 days after ordering it. I have been using a Harbor Freight version and, for the money, it was great. As expected, the Fein is like a different tool... smoother, quieter and more powerful. As far as open box condition, I really can't tell it from new. The accessory items that are packaged in plastic bags had never been opened, the cord appears to be as it left the factory and the case (a really nice design) is unblemished. Looks like a great buy. I'll have to get off of the CPO email list soon or find a paying job.

bobby g

DSC002551.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice. :tool:

CPO has some great deals from time to time. I got the Ridgid R4330 planer from them a while back. It was 're-conditioned' but I could not see a difference from brand new. Paid $279.00.

ehpoole

Ethan
I bought my Fein multimaster a couple years ago and, despite its price, have never regretted the purchase. A great self-selected birthday present as far as I was concerned. I really love the detail sander for getting into corners and the saw blades are wonderful for those odd jobs where you need to saw something in really tight spaces (like replacing plumbing within drywalled walls).

I'm sure you will enjoy yours just the same.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:icon_thum I have picked up a number of deals from CPO. Not all their "deals" are as good as this but time is on your side.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I have the HF version. It's really useful for cutting out sections of trim, molding and flooring. You can make straight cuts in to wood in locations that other saws can't fit.

BTW, what is CPO?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: So Fein - my 'multi-tool' usage

So far it seems like all he has done is taken pictures of a like new tool :gar-Bi

Rob - you asked about usage of these. I don't have such a 'Fein' tool, just the Dremel version. When I was doing a remodel it came in very handy as a saw. I was able to cut moldings in place much quicker and cleaner than with a handsaw; I was adding an interior wall and I did not want to remove the long runs of molding to "insert the wall."

Additionally when installing the new base and crown on this same project, the tool was again very useful as a saw to cope the cuts. Much cleaner cuts than I can do by hand, and faster too. My $50 tool purchase paid for itself on this one project - not only in time but in quality of work as well. Can you tell I loved it?

This is not an 'everyday' tool unless you are a remodeling contractor. I have not so far used it to sand anything, but I plan to see how it works for turned pieces (lathe); as a saw in tight places and for coping trim it worked very well.

Henry

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Re: So Fein - my 'multi-tool' usage

Thanks Henry. Every time I see an ad for those I wonder what they're useful for (I usually ignore what is actually in the ad, since I know the marketing guys who made the ad have probably never picked up the tool!).

Rob - you asked about usage of these. I don't have such a 'Fein' tool, just the Dremel version. When I was doing a remodel it came in very handy as a saw. I was able to cut moldings in place much quicker and cleaner than with a handsaw; I was adding an interior wall and I did not want to remove the long runs of molding to "insert the wall."

Additionally when installing the new base and crown on this same project, the tool was again very useful as a saw to cope the cuts. Much cleaner cuts than I can do by hand, and faster too. My $50 tool purchase paid for itself on this one project - not only in time but in quality of work as well. Can you tell I loved it?

This is not an 'everyday' tool unless you are a remodeling contractor. I have not so far used it to sand anything, but I plan to see how it works for turned pieces (lathe); as a saw in tight places and for coping trim it worked very well.

Henry

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've never used the Fein, maybe I would really like it, but I see nothing about my HF that would make me spend the money for a Fein or any of the other high end brands. I've used mine to cut molding and also drywall (much easier than using a knife on 5/8 fire rated). Cuts quickly. I've more recently use it to sand some drawer fronts where I had added a edge detail. The hook part of the sanding pad is delaminating a bit but it worked. It sanded quite quickly relative to doing it by hand or using my old Rockwell speed block. I guess it is a little rough in my hand but I certainly wouldn't call it hard to contol.

I had really bad experience early on with cheap routers (do not waste your money) and jig saws (ditto) but I've had good experience with cheap angle grinders and now vibratory tools. It often pays to get a better brand but I'm not sure it does with this tool IMHO. I'd have to try a different brand to be sure, however. Nicer tools can be either necessary or just nicer. I like using nicer but I tend to want to only spend money on necessary.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS