Smart Phone Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philr

New User
Phil Rasmussen
There have been several comments about the use of cell phones in the shop. I have used my Droid for many applications and thought I'd pass my experience on about various apps that are available for the Droid and other smart phones.

1. Calculator. Most smart phones come with a calculator already loaded. Use these calculators as you would any calculator. Unfortunately most of them do not have the storage capability for formulas so you will need to remember the formulas.

2. Timer. This app I use a lot. Whenever I am working on a project, I will start the timer and then stop it if I take a break and then resume it after the break. I use the timer in one of two ways. Either I time the whole project or I time specific components of a project such as cutting wood, glue ups, finishing, etc. The timer provides me with a means to help determine billing time and estimates. App name - StopWatch

3. Levels. I use the app primarily on a job site or when doing on site estimates. It is both a bubble level and a inclinometer. As a bubble level I use it to determine relative flatness of table or counter tops (don't forget to also apply it to the floor to make sure that the top is parallel to the floor). As an inclinometer I use it to determine if something is vertical or not. It is a quick level and is relatively accurate. App name - XClinometer

4. Magnet. This app has a variety of uses. You can find studs in a wall by moving the phone over the nail/screw heads used on the sheetrock. I also used it as a quick metal finder in unknown lumber if I forget my metal detector. It also has a built-in level. App name - Magnetic Stud Finder

5. Beam calculator. I don't use this app much but you can determine the size of beams needed in a home, barn, building, etc. App name - Wood Beam Calculator

All of these apps are free. There are other wood worker apps available for a small fee (usually under $2-3 and a couple around $10)

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Thanks, Phil. I use most of the ones you mentioned, and I just downloaded the magnetic stud finder. One that I use a lot is called Fractional Calculator (free).

CLetts

New User
Carl
When preparing to download apps. I notice that I have to give them permission(s), which seems to include more and more often the ability to prevent my phone from going to sleep. Is this a battery drainer?:dontknow:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
When preparing to download apps. I notice that I have to give them permission(s), which seems to include more and more often the ability to prevent my phone from going to sleep. Is this a battery drainer?:dontknow:

I have several like that, and so far they have only prevented the phone going into sleep mode when the app is actively running (i.e. google sky map, flashlight, etc). After I close the app, phone sleeps as normal. I don't have any additional apps that I leave running constantly like I envision the stop watch one might.

Go

CatButler

New User
Bryan

If you have an Android device, there is a setting in

Settings->Accounts and Sync->Background Data

When that is set, apps have free rein to go out and get whatever data they want, causing battery drain. If I turn that off, I can sometimes even get 3 days off of one charge. Turn it on and it some times it will on last from 7am to 6pm. Some apps are worse than others. The ebay app was terrible. Turning this off, may mean you don't get notices like groupon, or ebay auctions unless you start the app.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Here's a freebie that I find useful:
Convert units - converts length (millimeters to inches, and others). Also area, ie square meters to square yards, acres to square yards or feet, etc. Also does angles, energy, volume, speed and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS