Small Walnut Rocker..revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Gang,

This small walnut rocker (actually the second chair I built) has been sitting in an art gallery for the past year. I couldn't believe it's condition when I saw it last week. Someone had obviously had something sharp in their back pocket or keys on their belt...something that left gouges in the seat and scratches on the inside of the arms. One of the rockers looked like it had been dragged across the concrete floor on it's edge. The whole thing looked grubby.:no:
I brought it home, sanded down the seat and arms, also reshaped the rocker tips while I was working on the rocker, and refinished it.
I'll take it back, but they need a sign on it like “by all means have a rock..but please remove sharp objects first”.:widea:
I have started two new rockers..medium size, one in cherry, the other in Jeff's QS spalted sycamore.

Keep you posted

Don:icon_thum

CIMG3644.JPG
CIMG3648.JPG
CIMG3647.JPG
CIMG3645.JPG

CIMG36511.JPG
CIMG3650.JPG

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Another beautiful work of art!

I wish folks would realize the work that goes into these and give them the respect that they deserve!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is so sad that people can't respect other people's property.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Don,
The rocker is way too beautiful to be treated like that :elvis:
Let's put it in my home, where it will be treasured :gar-Bi

Roger

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Don,

I think you did an excellent job initially and a darn fine job refinishing. Beautiful rocker and absolutely outstanding work! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I would be scared to touch something that looks that beautiful!!!!! It is just stunning!:notworthy:

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Gang,

This small walnut rocker (actually the second chair I built) has been sitting in an art gallery for the past year. I couldn't believe it's condition when I saw it last week. Someone had obviously had something sharp in their back pocket or keys on their belt...something that left gouges in the seat and scratches on the inside of the arms. One of the rockers looked like it had been dragged across the concrete floor on it's edge. The whole thing looked grubby.:no:
I brought it home, sanded down the seat and arms, also reshaped the rocker tips while I was working on the rocker, and refinished it.
I'll take it back, but they need a sign on it like “by all means have a rock..but please remove sharp objects first”.:widea:
I have started two new rockers..medium size, one in cherry, the other in Jeff's QS spalted sycamore.

Keep you posted

Don:icon_thum

CIMG3644.JPG
CIMG3648.JPG
CIMG3647.JPG
CIMG3645.JPG

CIMG36511.JPG
CIMG3650.JPG

Wow!!!

Thanx for all the kind words. You have to expect some wear and tear in a Gallery..but this was over the top.

I have a hat collection with each size bigger than the last one...you folks are too kind.:embaresse

I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics and put words in between them..or at the end of the post. Any help appreciated:gar-Bi

Don

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Don that is a great looking rocker - like the others have said you really done a great job on the first go around and a fantastic job on the refinish

Robert

New User
Robert
So where is the seat belt? With racing stripes that sweet it needs nothing less than a five point harness. When do the rides start.

R-E-A-L-L-Y N-I-C-E..

Robert

Rod

New User
Rod
Do you teach classes on building rockers? I would like to learn and have the wood...but probably not all the tools needed.
Rod

Touchwood

New User
Don
Do you teach classes on building rockers? I would like to learn and have the wood...but probably not all the tools needed.
Rod

Rod

I haven't really thought about teaching classes. I got my design ideas from Hal Taylor in Virginia...he's a great guy, but in the end, it's all in the execution of the design.

Let me think on this..I've had several other folks on the site ask the same question. Maybe we could arrange a group clinic or something...nothing fancy. You really don't need a lot of high end tools to do this..just a lot of patience. I've wood-worked for nearly 30 years, but almost all on Shaker style straight line furniture. With rockers "it's all in the curves".

Don

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Don,

That is a beautiful piece of work, true artistry. It's a shame that the gallery didn't look after it better. Some people are astoundingly inconsiderate, and even the best and most diligent of galleries cannot totally prevent damage and theft. Still, I think they should have notified you that the chair had been damaged rather than you finding out for yourself.

I have had pieces in galleries off and on for over twenty years, and the instances of problems have been quite rare. I think chairs may pose more of a problem, because no one is going to buy a chair without sitting in it. For someone making larger numbers of pieces, having a "sacrificial" chair available for testing isn't a problem, but for the craftsman who makes very few pieces, this approach isn't feasible. Some type of predetermined arrangement and understanding of responsibility for damage, etc. with the gallery doesn't seem unreasonable.

Responsible, honest gallery owners are sensitive to the efforts and skills of the artists and crafts people that they represent. I hope that you had a discussion with the owner about the problem with the goal of lessening the likelihood of future occurrences.

Furniture like this is a work of art. I know how disturbing it is to see your time and effort receive such disrespect. Your restoration looks fantastic, if that is any consolation.:thumbs_up

Matt

Rod

New User
Rod
Rod

I haven't really thought about teaching classes. I got my design ideas from Hal Taylor in Virginia...he's a great guy, but in the end, it's all in the execution of the design.

Let me think on this..I've had several other folks on the site ask the same question. Maybe we could arrange a group clinic or something...nothing fancy. You really don't need a lot of high end tools to do this..just a lot of patience. I've wood-worked for nearly 30 years, but almost all on Shaker style straight line furniture. With rockers "it's all in the curves".

Don

Don,
If you decide to do a class, please let me know. I would like to try and attend if time permits. I know that there are a few others on the site that build nice rockers also. Maybe a rocker symposium or clinic would work. I don't know. I think it might be an effective way to raise some money for NCWW and put a bit of cash in the instructors' pockets as well. I would be willing to pay for it...and I think others would as well assuming the price is reasonable, of course.
Thanks Don!
Rod

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don,

That is a beautiful piece of work, true artistry. It's a shame that the gallery didn't look after it better. Some people are astoundingly inconsiderate, and even the best and most diligent of galleries cannot totally prevent damage and theft. Still, I think they should have notified you that the chair had been damaged rather than you finding out for yourself.

I have had pieces in galleries off and on for over twenty years, and the instances of problems have been quite rare. I think chairs may pose more of a problem, because no one is going to buy a chair without sitting in it. For someone making larger numbers of pieces, having a "sacrificial" chair available for testing isn't a problem, but for the craftsman who makes very few pieces, this approach isn't feasible. Some type of predetermined arrangement and understanding of responsibility for damage, etc. with the gallery doesn't seem unreasonable.

Responsible, honest gallery owners are sensitive to the efforts and skills of the artists and crafts people that they represent. I hope that you had a discussion with the owner about the problem with the goal of lessening the likelihood of future occurrences.

Furniture like this is a work of art. I know how disturbing it is to see your time and effort receive such disrespect. Your restoration looks fantastic, if that is any consolation.:thumbs_up

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for your thoughts. I like your ideas and yes!..I had an intense discussion with the owner, but you have to keep your cool if you want to keep displaying your work there.:confused_

I think I need a website.:eusa_danc

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don,
If you decide to do a class, please let me know. I would like to try and attend if time permits. I know that there are a few others on the site that build nice rockers also. Maybe a rocker symposium or clinic would work. I don't know. I think it might be an effective way to raise some money for NCWW and put a bit of cash in the instructors' pockets as well. I would be willing to pay for it...and I think others would as well assuming the price is reasonable, of course.
Thanks Don!
Rod

Rod

Thanks for the feedback. I have a pretty small shop..maybe 700 sq.ft...so getting a large group together here has some practical limitations. Also, it takes me a long time to build one of these (too perfectionist LOML tells me) so working together on the actual building process would be time consuming and I have limited tent space for camping out :rolf:.

I'm always willing to share my techniques with any of you folks..so maybe something like a show and tell with other rocker builders might work. :eusa_danc

I like the idea of raising funds for NCWW...I wouldn't know how to charge for my time or what would even be appropriate for that..so I probably wouldn't.

Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS