Small local machinist recommendation

shanghaipete

Pete
User
I am working through the restoration of a Boice Crane oscillating spindle sander and during the removal of a roll pin on a collar have a completely stuck roll pin punch. I have tried everything I can think of to remove it (heat, cold, hitting from the other side, pressing it out, lubricants etc) with no luck. I am concerned about either breaking it off in the hole and then having to try and drill out a hardened steel punch or mushrooming the punch so much that it makes it worse. The punch will twist in the hole but I can't get it to back out.

I am to the point of taking it to a machinist that might be able to get it out, but obviously a big high volume shop is not a good fit for this work so I'm looking for recommendations. I'm in west Cary, but willing to travel to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro or similar distances if needed.

Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 20210224_001001.jpg
    20210224_001001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 129

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Since it will twist in the hole, maybe putting a good portable electric drill on the punch and spinning it back out.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Mr. Vaughan is definitely the go-to gentleman for this type of knowledge, and having profited from his advice a few times before - I'd definitely given that a shot.

If that DOESNT work, for whatever reason, (and I say this as a past OWWM "restorer" that had to get squirrely from time to time) - thinking it through, if the punch is stuck, either it's slightly mushroomed from hitting it from the other end, or it's just some serious surface tension on the shank of the punch itself. One thought to overcome, (and I'm not sure which part of the tool this is stuck in, so it may be more challenging than it would seem), would be to use gravity a bit. I'm thinking rigging up some way to attempt to pick up the whole assembly BY THE PUNCH. Either a bearing puller, or even a block/ tackle. If it lifts the tool - than it's definitely in there good, but perhaps a few taps w/ a mallet would help add some percussion, similar to an impact wrench, (which you could also try to chuck the punch handle up to). SOP applies here - wear safety glasses, and maybe a cup, ha.

Obviously advice from the un-invested here, but best of luck nonetheless.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I am working through the restoration of a Boice Crane oscillating spindle sander and during the removal of a roll pin on a collar have a completely stuck roll pin punch. I have tried everything I can think of to remove it (heat, cold, hitting from the other side, pressing it out, lubricants etc) with no luck. I am concerned about either breaking it off in the hole and then having to try and drill out a hardened steel punch or mushrooming the punch so much that it makes it worse. The punch will twist in the hole but I can't get it to back out.

I am to the point of taking it to a machinist that might be able to get it out, but obviously a big high volume shop is not a good fit for this work so I'm looking for recommendations. I'm in west Cary, but willing to travel to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro or similar distances if needed.

Any recommendations?
Is it in a tapped hole? Put a pipe wrench on it and see if it turns?

shanghaipete

Pete
User
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I gave the drill a try and with plenty of PB blaster and pulling as it spun I was able to get it out. I couldn't believe it when it happened, but I can't thank Bob enough for the idea!
The end was slightly mushroomed but I think it was just tight.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS