Small clamps?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought a dozen small spring clamps for a new project. I can breath harder than they hold.
I need to make 50 small light weight strong clamps quick and cheap.

that’s right, quick, cheap, good. The three opposing forces.

do you think this will work? This is as close as you will ever see me to drawing a plan.

720F01DC-E24E-4BAB-B070-34AE754D5572.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’m gluing long thin strips together in a roughly oval sort of shape if that helps.
the pressure needs to be even across 3/4 inch and the thickness capacity needs to adjust from 1/8 inch to 3/4 inch or so.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure if these would work for what you're doing, but I needed a bunch of clamps when making dulcimers. These are made from 1/2" slices of PVC pipe. I first cut a slit down the entire length before cutting off the sections. Worked great.

IMG_2746.JPG

Last edited:

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Not sure if these would work for what you're doing, but I needed a bunch of clamps when making dulcimers. These are made from 1/2" slices of PVC pipe. If first cut a slit down the entire length before cutting off the sections. Worked great.

View attachment 215421
Brilliant... If I ever have a need for such, I hope my brain will allow me to remember this post!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think I need more pressure that that, but it is a brilliant idea.
my parts actually twist and deform a bit so light clamping won’t hold.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ok, is it something you could clamp around an oval form? Below is an example of a small clamp I made to glue stringing around an oval fan for inlay. You probably need something much larger, but the basic idea might work. You could use pipe or F clamps to squeeze the cauls.

IMG_1748.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have made and used lots of forms, I may have to do that but I was trying to make it free form. I have laminated free form shapes before but not this particular shape.
It’s really like an infinity ♾ symbol.
I think I can knock out 50 clamps in a day then get on with my project.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider a carriage bolt coming up through the bottom instead of the T-nut. Carriage bolts usually have threads all the the way down. Use a regular nut with a small washer and drive the nuts down with a hollow shank hand held nut driver. The down side is chiseling out a square for the carriage bolt square base.

T-nuts can split small narrow pieces of wood with their four prongs.

If the t-nuts work in a prototype, then you're good. Thumb screws can get expensive. Regular bolts, if their thread length is long enough, will work also and can be power driven with the driver set at a light setting or by a nut driver.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
May have to do a hybrid of what you can clamp heavily and securely and Jim's idea if you are doing something long.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I think I need more pressure that that, but it is a brilliant idea.
my parts actually twist and deform a bit so light clamping won’t hold.
making them wider or from larger diameter pipe should give more force. I’ve used these and they are effective. The larger variety I drill 2 holes for dowels that insert through the closed side and meet at the open side (think chop sticks). use the dowels to lever the clamp open. once the clamp is in place you can move the dowels to the next clamp.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Would you get more clamping force by swapping the clamp screw w/ the stabilizer screw? I'm assuming your pivot is the end of the square stock.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Rob. I just checked the pressure of some binder clips and I think that will work.
Should have some tomorrow.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
8 bucks at harbor freight, with coupon might be cheaper

1671040331010.png

Attachments

• 1671040301583.png
    1671040301583.png
    105 KB · Views: 41

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors