Sliding Miter Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
OK, Folks: Once again I need your advice and expertise! :) Looking for a sliding miter saw. Would buy either a 10" or 12" based on your experience.

Bosc gets a high consumer rating on their 10" slider. Rigid gets the nod on the 12" slider. Both have laser. :eusa_thin

What I really want is just a good reliable saw to cut some of those wide cypress boards Ivey keeps "pushing" on us! What do you think is the best buy for the buck? And if you know of one on CL or have one for sale, :eusa_pray please let us know. Thanx much. :icon_thum:icon_thum

Trog777

New User
Trog
I went 12". Capacity was the main thoughts. I narrowed my choices down to Bosch and Makita. The Makita went on sale with a mail in coupon for a free 18v LI drill. No brainer. Like the saw, love the drill. :-D Whatever brand you go with, I'd sure recommend a 12" saw. The added capiicty is nice.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I went 12". Capacity was the main thoughts. I narrowed my choices down to Bosch and Makita. The Makita went on sale with a mail in coupon for a free 18v LI drill. No brainer. Like the saw, love the drill. :-D Whatever brand you go with, I'd sure recommend a 12" saw. The added capiicty is nice.

And you found that deal where??

Trog777

New User
Trog
And you found that deal where??
It was on Amazon back in Feb. Found this post on another forum and jumped on it.

Amazon just put this up on their site:

Makita LS1214FL 12" dual bevel sliding compound miter saw with laser and light
$597.55
free shipping

Promotion of $150 off above price
Promotion of free 1/2" 18 volt Makita drill kit with two batteries (shows to be $199.95 on Amazon)

That leaves the saw arriving at the front door for $249.50
I was pleased with the $150 off, but this made it a heckuva deal
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/00/50/61/70/50617053.pdf Had to mail it off, but sure nuff a few weeks later came a free drill. That drill is the stuff. Sooooo much better than my old 14.4's it's unreal. Then they had a deal on the cordless reciprocating saw that used the same batteries, saw only, for $75, and I got one of those too. Thing didn't even come with a case or nothing. :) Handy bugger to have around. The saw eats batteries, but it only takes like 15min to charge so it's pretty much continuous use if you have 2 batteries.

Got way the heck of subject didn't I. :lol:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whatever you get, check to see it has a positive stop for compound miters. This is a handy thing to have when you're doing large mouldings. The angle & bevel will have a detent and ball that gives the saw a positive click when the proper angle is achieved. It beats tweaking in an angle mark when your saw is really dusty! I had a Hitachi like this some years ago and it 'grew legs' off the jobsite. I regret not replacing it right then with another one.

mcoston2

New User
michael
I was told by a person who builds furniture, and he tells me that compound slides are real nice for straight cuts but when it comes to miter or bevel cuts you might have a blade flex problem with the 12" more so that the 10" blades. It was something that was told to me and I can't really say. I use a 10" compound non-slide and I use my radial for wide cuts. But just a thought..:eusa_thin
Michael

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Reggie,

I use a DeWalt 12" SCMS on a portable stand, I mainly bought it (12") so that I could also cut 4x4's and 4x6's. I also have a Delta and a Makita 10' CMS. If you plan on cutting 4x material buy 12", if not buy 10" there is a major weight difference if you have to move them around. Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck,

Jimmy:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've got a 10" from Makita and absolutely love it. I still use the original blade and the cuts are very good. A neighbor has the same saw and got a WoodWorker blade... the cuts are smooth as silk.

Ray

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have an old Delta that works ok, but the slide is not very smooth. Frankly, I seldom need the capacity provided by a slider.

For track record the Makita LS1013 10" slider gets great reports on a couple of forums, the 12" LS1214 is not bad either. As reported by someone here, is often on sale at a great price on Amazon.

I have a friend with the 12" Dewalt. He says it is ok, but he actually liked the older model of the same saw better. I don't remember why.

The Bosch, has a lot of great features, including front adjustment for bevel. There were a few neg reviews on Amazon about not holding adjustment, one supposedly by someone "in the business" who really ripped it. You cannot always rely on Amazon reviews, though, since it could have been one lemon in an otherwise great tool.

I'm saving my pennies (gonna need a bunch of them!!!!!!) and get a Festool, Kapex, whenever it finally hits the US market, maybe Spring/Summer of '08.

Another consideration- will you be taking the saw to job sites? It is really tough on sliders to be lugging them around and throwing them in the back of a truck.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've got a 12" Rigid. Works well and has a long stroke. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

Also, made a Universal Crosscut Jig for reaaaallly exact cuts.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I've got a 12" Bosch. I love it. Not to say that others aren't good. I have had no issues with alignment. I have used it on everything from landscape timbers to compund miters with no issues.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've got a 12" Bosch. I love it. Not to say that others aren't good. I have had no issues with alignment. I have used it on everything from landscape timbers to compund miters with no issues.

Thanks to all you who have responded. Just exactly what I wanted. Right now I'm leaning to the 10" Bosch with laser. I don't cut 4" stock, mostly crosscutting wide boards so I think it'll meet my needs.

NOW to find a "righteous price" on one! All help appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS