Slabs for Roubo style workbenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott,

Pardon what is probably a stupid question - how do you weigh a tree?

Ernie

Ernie, I don't know about weighing a tree, but determining the weight of a log is fairly simple as long as you know the diameter, length, and species.

Red oak is around 5.5 lbs per bd ft green. This single log has over 3,600 bd ft of lumber in it.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, I don't know about weighing a tree, but determining the weight of a log is fairly simple as long as you know the diameter, length, and species.

Red oak is around 5.5 lbs per bd ft green. This single log has over 3,600 bd ft of lumber in it.

Thanks Scott

Since I know my length and diameter I applied your formula to see how close it came to my actual weight. It said I weighed 97 lbs. Guess I got the species wrong.:gar-Bi

Ernie

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Scott,

What time are you starting the fun and how long do you expect to go? Depending on how things shake out I might actually be able to make it.

Travis

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott,

What time are you starting the fun and how long do you expect to go? Depending on how things shake out I might actually be able to make it.

Travis

Re timing, I need to check with David. I'm going to guess that we will start setting up equipment around 9 am and start milling around 10:30 - give or take.

I'll update the time as we get closer to the end of the week and have a more accurate idea regarding the weather forecast as well as the health of David's chainsaw (it's in the shop this week).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott,

Don't need any wood but would love to come up and add a strongish back to the effort.

Nate

Nate, works for me! If we mill that monster log into slabs we're going to need all of the muscle that we can get!

SS

ps - thanks for the loan of that bowl turning DVD. Rob and Susan dropped it off yesterday.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Re: Slabs for Roubo style workbenches - POSTPONED

Folks - it looks like the weather gods are against us for tomorrow. It's been raining here at the farm all day, and the forecast is for rain all night and tomorrow until late morning.

Even when the rains stop, the sawmill area is currently flooded out and it would not only be a very muddy event; more importantly the lack of solid footing would put us beyond my comfort zone regarding safety + sawmill operation.

David and I will put our heads together, check the forecasts for the next couple of weekends, and post some alternatives.

UPDATE: The event is rescheduled for next Saturday, February 12, weather permitting.

Bummer....

Scott

Last edited:

victoon

New User
Victor
I thought I have missed the spectacle. But I’d love to come out and watch.I live in west cary. so no excuse to miss fun of this size!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The weather is looking good for this upcoming Saturday, Feb 12. We'll probably kick things off at the farm around 10 am.

More to come.

Scott

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Scott: Going to try to make it. Maybe can talk my neighbor into coming. Have personally seen him flip a 5' x 22" d wet sweet gum log end over end by himself and likes physical stuff, so should be a good slab mover if I can get him to come. Also have my chain saw mill with the little Stihl 310 with 24" bar on it, and a couple of cant hooks (Dixie 4 1/4 and 4 1/2) if you think they'll be needed.

Go

PS At this point just coming to help.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott: Going to try to make it. Maybe can talk my neighbor into coming. Have personally seen him flip a 5' x 22" d wet sweet gum log end over end by himself and likes physical stuff, so should be a good slab mover if I can get him to come. Also have my chain saw mill with the little Stihl 310 with 24" bar on it, and a couple of cant hooks (Dixie 4 1/4 and 4 1/2) if you think they'll be needed.

Go

PS At this point just coming to help.

Hi Mark, thanks for your note. By all means come on out! I figured that we would offload the slabs with one of my tractors, but your neighbor is welcome to push the chainsaw for a while!

I think that I'm going to set the crane up on Friday and move the big log in place after trimming it up, so that we're ready to work on Saturday morning. I'll also set up the big slab, so that we can work on both simultaneously.

How wide of a slab can you mill with your setup, 16" or so?

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Hey Scott, just a reminder I'm still interested in 3 of the Red Oak slabs. I have a feeling when the ncwoodworker nation gets to your shop and sees how these turn out there could be a frenzy!:eusa_doh:

Kettrell

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Scott, just a reminder I'm still interested in 3 of the Red Oak slabs. I have a feeling when the ncwoodworker nation gets to your shop and sees how these turn out there could be a frenzy!:eusa_doh:

Kettrell

Thanks Kettrell - you are on the list for 3 of the green slabs. This ought to be interesting; I'm setting up a 25 ton P&H crane tomorrow so that I can swing the 10 ton log into the sawmill in preparation for Saturday.

We will probably set up so that we're running both David chainsaw mill and my swing blade mill at the same time. Salem, I'm thinking that we will mill your 10" wide bookmatched QS slabs first from the big log, while David and volunteers are working on the existing slab.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi Mark, thanks for your note. By all means come on out! I figured that we would offload the slabs with one of my tractors, but your neighbor is welcome to push the chainsaw for a while!

I think that I'm going to set the crane up on Friday and move the big log in place after trimming it up, so that we're ready to work on Saturday morning. I'll also set up the big slab, so that we can work on both simultaneously.

How wide of a slab can you mill with your setup, 16" or so?

My mill is currently set up to do a 17 1/2" cut if the slab sides are straight. (I can squeeze it to 18" if I take the spikes off the saw.) However, the mill attachment capacity is for a 36" bar (30" cut) if there is a another bigger saw available. Only take a couple minutes to adjust it and clamp it on.

See ya Sat.

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
....if there is a another bigger saw available....
Go

Is that a serious question???? :rotflm:

I do have an '066 Magnum with a 48" bar, however it's usually a good idea to modify chainsaw heads that are dedicated to slabbing with special bar oiling systems, as well as running a richer mixture. I have not modified mine, so would probably steer away from using it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Is that a serious question???? :rotflm:

I do have an '066 Magnum with a 48" bar, however it's usually a good idea to modify chainsaw heads that are dedicated to slabbing with special bar oiling systems, as well as running a richer mixture. I have not modified mine, so would probably steer away from using it.

what???? no 090????:elvis: fer shame fer shame....:rotflm:
wish I could make the party saturday but ..... Y'all have fun.:icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Is that a serious question???? :rotflm:...

My Bad. Forgot about that oiler thing for the big boys :embaresse. With the 25" (not 24" like I said earlier) bar on mine, I get enough oil running the oiler wide open, although I have set it a little richer on the mix. I was going to get a drip oiler by have not needed it so far.

I had no doubt that bigger beasts would be there!

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If you're planning to stop by on Saturday Feb 12th, would you please respond to this thread or send me an e-mail via NCWW so that I can get a count? Also let me know if you need directions and a contact number.

We'll probably fire up the grill and BBQ some chicken around lunch time. I'll have chicken, potato salad, chips, salsa and some soft drinks available; feel free to bring anything extra to augment lunch.

I'm planning to set the crane up later today, but may wait until first thing tomorrow morning to pick up the log and swing it over (ought to make for an interesting NCWW event!). We will be setting up around 9 am and start milling closer to 10am.

Most likely we will be milling both the small and large logs simultaneously, and there will be plenty of opportunity for "exercise" for all that attend.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS