Slab (and other stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlife

New User
Rich
A couple of my threads got closed while I was away:
Grill Case at: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/grill-case-32273/ and
Large Slab at: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f64/working-large-slab-32272/ .

So let me finish (and start) here again.

About the grill case, Tarhead and James Davis, thanks for your comments about the MDFO. What you said makes sense and that's how I'll go (MDFO on the back) with a veneer or thin inner walnut back wall (I need to see what the MDFO is and what I'll have to work with).

As far as the large red maple slab, after a couple of months of drying in the a/c of my shop, the moisture is down below 12% so I'm ready to go. At this point, I'll still take suggestions, but the most likely candidate at this point is a new front door for our house (thanks again, froglips). I'll have to get it cleaned up and look at the options, but I'm thinking a black walnut frame to bring the 28" slab up to 36" wide. Need to check on the expansion of that slab (as well as the frame), but it will be in a sheltered, shaded location. Would it help any to rip and then tongue and groove it? In my head, I can see this amazing front door :wsmile:.

While I was travelling, I decided to flatten one side manually (I just like working with hand tools) and then deal with thicknessing it. I may not have the patience to do both side manually :tinysmile_tongue_t:, so I'll remember all those offers when the time comes. My first passes with my old jack plane have it looking pretty already -- but there's a long way to go. Rich

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I wondered what happened to that bit of scrap wood :)

Boy, I'd sure not suggest ripping or t&g that slab. I got a few books on making doors I'll dig into a bit.

Others likely have the real answer!

If you want some plane pushers, just say the word. I'll throw a few jointer planes in the truck and bring some beer!

Jim

richlife

New User
Rich
I wondered what happened to that bit of scrap wood :)

Boy, I'd sure not suggest ripping or t&g that slab. I got a few books on making doors I'll dig into a bit.

Others likely have the real answer!

If you want some plane pushers, just say the word. I'll throw a few jointer planes in the truck and bring some beer!

Jim

Yeah, I still have it. "plane pushing" sounds like a plan. Let me drop you a note after the weekend.

You may have seen that I'll be "smokin'" this weekend! In the heat and under the threat of Earl (hi, Earl), I'll be doing a brisket. Party elsewhere on Sunday, but Monday will be at least one pork shoulder -- we'll see what Cliff has to offer. Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS