sketchup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I am trying my best to learn this stuff but need some guidance.

I am trying to draw a board with dovetails on both sides which are symetrical (think that is what I am trying to do) and I have one side done. So the question is how do I copy that to the other side and make both sides the same. Here is a pic of where I am thus far.

dovetailseat.jpg

Mike

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Just copy the entire piece, rotate it 180, and mate it to the back side of this one. Then erase the separating lines. (This assumes you created one notch on this piece and copied it exactly to the correct spot to form the second so that they are the mirror of each other down the centerline. By rotating it 180, if they are not, the notches will not line up exactly on each end of the board.)

Make sense?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
dovetailseat.jpg

No help on the sketchup, but....

Real men cut 'em by eye.

If you find somebody who can see both sides of a dovetailed thingy and tell you they aren't matched, RUN!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
dovetailseat.jpg

No help on the sketchup, but....

Real men cut 'em by eye.

If you find somebody who can see both sides of a dovetailed thingy and tell you they aren't matched, RUN!

I do cut mine by hand and normally don't worry if they are perfect. My purpose for this exercise was to learn how to make a model of something so if a customer asked for a drawing or such, I could at least make one to show them. Pictures are worth a thousand words or so I have been told.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mike, I really hope you become proficient with sketchup. Then maybe you can push me to do the same. I have spent way too much time lately designing on the fly.

Chuck

M

McRabbet

I am trying my best to learn this stuff but need some guidance.

I am trying to draw a board with dovetails on both sides which are symmetrical (think that is what I am trying to do) and I have one side done. So the question is how do I copy that to the other side and make both sides the same. Here is a pic of where I am thus far.

dovetailseat.jpg

Mike
Mike, if you mean dovetails at both ends of this board, then it is real easy. Use the "push=Pull" tool to push the current inner end of the dovetail all the way through to the opposite end. Then, put a pair of lines across the open space where the dovetail should end and a new surface is formed (do it on the narrow side). Push the far end of the dovetail back to it's crossing line (Flip the piece using the "Orbit" tool to access it). Return to the starting end and go into the tunnel and draw a line down the dovetail cut to the opposite side of the block (follow the line color to stay parallel to the Red axis). Repeat on the other side of the dovetail and connect the ends of those lines on the lower surface. The slot closes, leaving your dovetails at each end! You can then delete the extraneous lines and each side will return to a solid surface. By the way, I use the "Tape Measure" tool to put down guidelines for accurate spacing -- when finished, just delete the guidelines in the Edit pull down menu "Delete Guides".

Hope this helps. Rob

PS -- I just did this starting with the end of the board and it took me just a few minutes. I created the end of the board with a rectangle and pushed it to length. Then I laid out the dovetails just like you would on a real board (using guidelines), pushed it to the board length, drew the cross lines to define the depth of the final dovetail, pushed the far end to its final depth and returned to the hollow end to finish the dovetail there as described. Took me three times longer to write it down in a post!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mike there are several things you can do. The one that I would use is called construction lines. You use the tape measure tool to draw them and that way they stay in line.

By the way, you have a problem with your drawing. The area that is grey signifies that there is an incomplete shape and you are seeing to the inside. If you want, post a copy of the file, I will download, modify, put you some construction lines in, and you can go from there.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Here is a sample with construction lines. My dovetails aren't pretty, but you should get the point. The dotted lines are construction lines. They are good for laying out dimensions and so forth and are easy to erase. To make a construction point, once you have established the first point with the tape measure, tap the control key and you should see a plus symbol by it. Either stretch it to where you want, or type the value you want in and click or press enter. Once you have two construction points, you can use the tape rule to do a construction line. Again, establish the starting location, tap the control key, and go to the second construction point. This way, you have reference lines to draw both sides to match.
Untitled.jpg

Once you want to get rid of them as your drawing starts to get cluttered, I assigned a hot key (as recommended from who I learned from) to get rid of them all at once. Go to windows, preferences, short cuts and find construction geometry, erase all. I assigned E (as was recommended), and it is nice.

Construction lines are excellent for this type of thing, and for laying out dimensions before you start drawing the actual components.

Another trick you will want to use is mirroring. Say you draw a side of a dresser with dadoes, mortises, etc. You can make a perfect mirror of it with the scale tool. just change the value to -1.

It can be aggravating, but once you get the hang of it, it really is a neat and easy to use tool.

Good luck, and hope I helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS