Sketchup Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I finally decided, thanks to the urging of several NCWW members to try to learn Sketchup (again). This time, after a few days of scratching my head and looking at every tutorial I could find, I've had some success.

I'm presently working on a new music box and I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by using Sketchup to make a model.

Here's a photo of the full sized instrument that I am copying.

P1010002-1.JPG

Now here's the Sketchup model that I'm working on.

sketchupmodel.jpg

Notice that the model has no legs. I can't figure out how to draw these cabriole-styled legs in Sketchup. I thought I could do it by simulating a rectangular wood blank - draw the leg outline on two adjacent surfaces - and push-pull the waste areas on both surfaces - just like you would do in real life on a bandsaw. Unfortunatley, it doesn't work. Seems you can't push-pull on 2 adjacent surfaces is Sketchup.

If anyone knows a way to draw a cabriole styled leg in Sketchup I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks
Ernie :BangHead: :dontknow:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ernie, have you tried looking on Sketchup's web site to see if maybe someone has uploaded a model that would get you close?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks much for your links. The link to 3d Warehouse hit the nail on the head. Can't wait to try it out. I'll post a pix if it works ... or even if it doesn't.
Thanks again,
Ernie

nelsone

New User
Ed
Dave Richards is a member over at Family Woodworking and is a Sketchup expert. He has posted several articles in FWW. Very accessible and very helpful. See about contacting him, I'm sure he'd be willing to help out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS