Simple drawer joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I would like to make a small nest of drawers.

Nothing fancy, more for parts/junk than for "furniture".

Drawers would be about 6" square, 2-1/2" deep.

I'm wondering about what I might use for a simple, strong joint for fastening the drawer fronts to the sides.
Emphasis on "simple"......:eusa_doh:

Thanks!

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
6" square are small drawers so almost any construction will work fine (especially for not so fine furniture). I'd go with a simple glued and nailed rabbet joint, especially if you're using plywood. An upgrade would be a lock rabbet - glued but no nails.

I used to make lock rabbet drawers on the table saw, but bought a lock miter router bit a year or so ago to avoid some of the setup time. Hah! the router bit is just as ornery to get just right.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
2-1/2 high, 6 wide, 6 deep is indeed what I was trying to convey.
Those dimensions are not precise, just trying to give a idea of the rough size.......

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Is the drawer front overlapping or is it flush? If flush, a locking rabbet woud be strong.
A regular dado set back slightly with false front rabbeted to fit would allow flush or overlapping design. Either would probably be quicker than box joints if you don't have a box joint jig already made. That said, a rabbet using a good glue will probably be strong enough unless you are going to fill it with nails or drill bits, etc.

JMO
Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Tom,
If you can get a copy of the current Wood magazine there is an article on drawers. They have a detailed photo and description of a 1/4" lock rabbet.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I vote for the rabbet as well. Quick and easy.

drawer_joint.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
With the rabbet, you can put a false front on it. If that isn't what you want, you could rabbet the front allowing enough for the sides and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS