Simple box with pivot lid

Richo B

New User
Richo
This week I built a simple box with pivot lid for housing a collection of tools I recently acquired from my Dad in Iowa. The wood used was poplar and some 1/4" birch plywood. I had looked for videos on how to make a pivot lid but couldn't find any. The YouTube algorithm is getting harder and harder to search with. I had seen one on making an invisible hinged lid and wondered if that was another term for it. Perhaps what I'm calling pivot has another, more common term. I was able to figure out how to make it on my own and posted a video of the process.

s
Finale 21.jpg
dads tools.jpg

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I am doing this for a Christmas gift this year. Mine aren't hidden though. I drilled from the outside in since the frame of my box is a solid piece of wood. Mine is still loosely fit and not finished but you can see the small brass dowel sticking out of the bottom.

Attachments

• 20231121_172326.jpg
    20231121_172326.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I checked my book BOX By BOX by Jim Stack. He called it a flipper lid. I don’t know. It’s a very cool box though.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I am doing this for a Christmas gift this year. Mine aren't hidden though. I drilled from the outside in since the frame of my box is a solid piece of wood. Mine is still loosely fit and not finished but you can see the small brass dowel sticking out of the bottom.
I had considered making mine a through pin but really wanted to do it the way I did as it was based on a simple jewelry box I saw at a hobby store this past weekend.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I checked my book BOX By BOX by Jim Stack. He called it a flipper lid. I don’t know. It’s a very cool box though.
I tried searching on YouTube for making a box with a flipper lid and they still are showing me results for sliding lids. I think YouTube was just trying to steer me away from anything but sliding lids to begin with. But flipper and invisible hinges do seem to be common terms for this.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I tried searching on YouTube for making a box with a flipper lid and they still are showing me results for sliding lids. I think YouTube was just trying to steer me away from anything but sliding lids to begin with. But flipper and invisible hinges do seem to be common terms for this.
Try clearing your web browser's cache and then searching YouTube again using the same search term you just did. I'd be willing to bet you will get much better results.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors