Shower in the workshop

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Do you guys ever wish you had a shower in the shop?

I rough plumbed a corner shower in mine before pouring the slab. Now I'm not sure if I really want one or not.

What say you? Help me decide!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
A shower would go a long way toward not carrying contaminants into the house, should family allergies be a problem.

Add a cot, recliner, and TV, and it sure would beat sleeping with the dog in his house on those occasions when it is deemed prudent! LOL

Personally, I have wished I had a utility sink on occasion, but never considered a shower. Like most shops, space is a premium, so that would be a luxury I would seldom use.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do you guys ever wish you had a shower in the shop?

I rough plumbed a corner shower in mine before pouring the slab. Now I'm not sure if I really want one or not.

What say you? Help me decide!
It'll be a bit Spartan showering in the winter if your shop isn't heated.......
If you're going to the trouble, though, please also consider an eyewash on your sink. It could save your vision in case of a chemical accident, and it's only an attachment that screws to the faucet behind the strainer.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I plumbed for a sink in mine and have no regrets about that. Very useful. Don't think I want a shower but a toilet would be nice.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I did the shower thing when I had my shop built. I've never used it. No hot water heater installed yet but plumbed and wired for one. The shower enclosure holds large bulky junk. For personal use, it was a waste of money but for potential value of the building, it is a plus. If I had it to do over, I'd still do it the same.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
My dream plans for a shop include a small full bathroom with shower, but more for when I'm done yard work, quick rinse off and then hot tub to relax, and don't bring in bunch of dirt and clippings into the house.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My shop is free standing, 200' from my house. I put in a half-bath (toilet and hand sink). On the other side of the wall w/ the hand sink I have a laundry tub. A must have for me. But no shower. I've seen other shops w/ a shower and like Bob said, it becomes a junk storage area, but never gets used as a shower.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I have a utility sink with hot/cold water, it is very, very useful! A toilet would be nice, especially as you get older. That said, I have never considered a shower and I am not sure it would be useful for me. If I had a shower, I would need to have clean cloths, towel, etc and knowing me I would forget to have them in place whenever I need them.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
A utility sink is on the top of the list!

Another forum I'm a member of has a lot of members that are pretty vocal about including a shower and when I was pouring the slab 3 years ago I figured I might as well include it. There is a bonus room over the shop that will have a full bath, so that gives me the possibility of not dragging anything into the house.

Looks like I'm going to be doing a little concrete work in that corner as I rework some of the rough plumbing.

I was on the fence already, but I think having that square footage for "shop" space will be much more useful than the shower.

@Gotcha6 that's a very good point on the eye wash station, thanks!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
My dream plans for a shop include a small full bathroom with shower, but more for when I'm done yard work, quick rinse off and then hot tub to relax, and don't bring in bunch of dirt and clippings into the house.
What part of the shop would have the hot tub in it? ;)

Contemplating a half of full bath in the new shop myself. Would be useful rather that walking all the way back to the house and tracking stuff everywhere. I think having hot/cold water sink would be most useful for clean up from the shop or yard work.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I actually have a shower in the shop area with a toilet and sink area. In my case, the shop is in the basement and we installed the bath to potentially increase house value for someone who will finish the basement and make a separate apartment or living area. I've used the shower once. It's nice but hardly anything but a complete luxury for a real shop.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It just dawned on me. Just think of all that humidity a nice hot shower would add to the shop. Not good.

jimb97239

New User
jimb
In my dream shop, I have a used stainless restaurant sink plumbed in for wash-up and what not.
Definitely a toilet or at least a urinal would be a real plus to save a trip to the house and all of the dust off to prevent carrying mess in.
IMHO, a dust-free change of clothes in the shop would be effective enough.
In Durham, I've seen used sinks at J & D Recyclers (2645 Cheek Rd, Durham, NC 27704)
(BTW, my dream shop is fully built and outfitted in my dreams)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS