Show me your router fence

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User
Looking for opinions here.
I'm in the process of redoing the extension table on my table saw that I installed a Jessem Mast-R-Lift in and want to upgrade my homemade router fence in the process.
I built a basic router fence when I moved to my current spot with the intention of upgrading when I built a new extension table which was a little beat up. That time is here now. I've replaced the extension table and now I'm trying to decide on what I want to do for a router fence.
I'm seriously considering the Woodpeckers Super Fence but want to get some others input on what you use and like or dislike about your setup.
I previously had a dedicated router table with a home made fence that worked well but I'm limited on space in my new spot. Plus I no longer have a jointer so jointing smaller pieces is something I'm looking into.
I do like gadgets so there is that.
I want something that can be removed when I'm not using it, which I think puts the Incra Precision fence out of the equation but I'm still looking into that.

So I'm hoping to see what you've built or bought that might help me decide.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have been happy with this fence on my drill press. But, it has the features needed for a router table fence except maybe length. I did buy a second flip stop.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Harvey router fence.

I believe you have to use the Harvey router table top, too, so might not be what you are looking for.

PXL_20230903_195140287.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230903_194424080.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230903_195111452.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230903_195124218.PORTRAIT.jpg

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User
First off thanks for the ideas.
I like the idea of a turn key solution when buying prebuilt. But looking around, everything I'm seeing has some kind of compromise so I'm looking into working with what I have now.
I built this when I first installed my Mast-R-Lift and definitely think I can build this into something closer to what I'm thinking I want if I can source the parts at the right price and not end up paying 3/4 the price of a prebuilt. At the time I really didn't have a plan for what I wanted. I'm settling in now and wanted to see some home builds to get some ideas.
The new extension table is in now and although I can put the Mast-R-Lift in now I want to know what fence I'm using first.

Edit, you can't see it but this fence is set up to run in t-track.
router fence.jpg

Last edited:

zke96

zke96
User
I just finished building this fence for my tablesaw wing. I added a filler strip at the top with a dovetail slot after taking this picture though. Just rides in two dovetail slots in the table top. The design is meant to be closed in with a hose connected to one end of the fence for DC but I already had a port from rockler so I just used that.
(Last picture is what I copied from)

1709561106107.png
1709561120739.png

1709561390954.png

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Of all the solutions offered, I think your own fabrication is the simplest, lowest cost, and looks to be the most efficient for dust collection. Rather than have it run in t tracks, which have to be cut into the wing surface, why not just have it rest against and clamp onto the backside of the table saw rip fence?

zke96

zke96
User
Of all the solutions offered, I think your own fabrication is the simplest, lowest cost, and looks to be the most efficient for dust collection. Rather than have it run in t tracks, which have to be cut into the wing surface, why not just have it rest against and clamp onto the backside of the table saw rip fence?
The only reason I have heard to not go that route (and why I didn't) is that it means you can't have your router and a rip set up at the same time.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
The only reason I have heard to not go that route (and why I didn't) is that it means you can't have your router and a rip set up at the same time.

You are correct in that line of thinking. I have never been inconvenienced too much by having to share a fence between the tablesaw and router table.
However when I built mine I was upgrading from a skil Benchtop table saw to a delta contractor saw. The router table was an upgrade from a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 1.5" hole in the center on top of a 35 gallon garbage can. Sharing a fence was not a problem 😉

zke96

zke96
User
You are correct in that line of thinking. I have never been inconvenienced too much by having to share a fence between the tablesaw and router table.
However when I built mine I was upgrading from a skil Benchtop table saw to a delta contractor saw. The router table was an upgrade from a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood with a 1.5" hole in the center on top of a 35 gallon garbage can. Sharing a fence was not a problem 😉
Yeah this falls firmly in the camp of "theoretical problem that I'll probably never encounter" in my mind. Buuuut it wasn't really much more work to build it with it's own base

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have used a variety of fences for router table uses - none of which are worthy of showing in this series of fantastic fences. Just to give you a sense of my level of complxity in router fences, sometimes I have used an old 2x6 with a notch cut out of it. I get more complicated if necessary. "Dust extraction' is a foreign concept while using these crude fences.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I use the Infinity fence. I don't recommend fences that slide in T tracks. It's ok, but it binds when sliding in T tracks. Maybe it's the T track?

For years my fence was pinned on the left side and simply swiveled. I liked it much better than the T track.

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User
Thanks to all for your input, it's been very helpful. I'm looking into all of it.

I put the Mast-R-Lift in today and it went well. I also have the Incra Clean Sweep which I have to say is one of those overpriced things but it works really well. With the combo I have I get almost no chips or dust escaping most times.

The things I don't like about the fence build I started is that I wish it was wider and not so tall. Also, I want to be able to offset one side of the fence so I can at least edge joint shorter boards. All things that tell me to start over.

I initially started with the idea of utilizing my saw fence but ran into issues with the back side not being 90 degrees to the table. I like repeatability and didn't want to deal with constantly checking then having to tweaking settings to keep things straight. That was a three years ago and I don't remember what the issue was that got me headed to where I am now. I may revisit that idea before I do anything.
mast lift.jpg

mastr sweep.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your input, it's been very helpful. I'm looking into all of it.

I put the Mast-R-Lift in today and it went well. I also have the Incra Clean Sweep which I have to say is one of those overpriced things but it works really well. With the combo I have I get almost no chips or dust escaping most times.
I see a red plate in the pic, but can't tell from that what an INcra Clean Sweep is - any hints?

Joseph Delfino

JoeDel
User
I see a red plate in the pic, but can't tell from that what an INcra Clean Sweep is - any hints?
It's just an over priced dust collection box that works well under the router lift plate I used. I think having the dust port which can't be seen on the bottom helps with it being so efficient.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User

The things I don't like about the fence build I started is that I wish it was wider and not so tall. Also, I want to be able to offset one side of the fence so I can at least edge joint shorter boards. All things that tell me to start over.

I initially started with the idea of utilizing my saw fence but ran into issues with the back side not being 90 degrees to the table. I like repeatability and didn't want to deal with constantly checking then having to tweaking settings to keep things straight. That was a three years ago and I don't remember what the issue was that got me headed to where I am now. I may revisit that idea before I do anything.
On the fence, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm not a fan of routers in table saws, but I understand the reason why people do it. Anyway, I'm using the Infinity fence now and really like it. My previous fence was home made with sliders that opened to adjust to different diameter bits. It was pinned on one side and pivoted with a clamp that squeezed the edge of the top. It really worked quite well. But that get's difficult when it's in a table saw. You would have to install some T track I guess.

Or you could try to mount something to the TS fence, but tying up the table saw fence is a minus.

Anyway, I don't know how much this helps, but nice job on that insert.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS