Show me your clamp racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Starved for space and clamps are starting to clutter the shop (thankfully:-D). I have a couple of 30 inch Besseys, 8-10 bar clamps, 6-8 spring clamps, and 8-10 C clamps. I would appreciate links, pix, or suggestions on making wall mounted clamp rack. Sorry Alan, don't have floor space for mobile clamp cart ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Sapwood

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
sapwood said:
Starved for space and clamps are starting to clutter the shop (thankfully:-D). I have a couple of 30 inch Besseys, 8-10 bar clamps, 6-8 spring clamps, and 8-10 C clamps. I would appreciate links, pix, or suggestions on making wall mounted clamp rack. Sorry Alan, don't have floor space for mobile clamp cart ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Sapwood
But, but, but . . . . You haven't seen my light weight, low profile, fold-against-the-wall, multi-clamp rack :-:)-:)-(

It doesn't exist. :lol::lol::lol:

Think about sitting the clamps head down for whatever wall rack you come up with. That's how I made the wall rack in my last shop- I'll see if I can find the pics. I think it is much better than clamp head up.

If I didn't make the rolling cart, I was going to build a rack into the knee wall along the front of the shop- the bar clamps would been horizonatal and all that would have been visible would be the heads of the clamps- the bars would have been behind the knee wall.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Roger,
This might sound too easy, but try going to Google, clicking on the "Images" link and then do a search for "clamp rack" (in quotes to search for the phrase).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have found that my Bessys and various cheap bar clamps hang very nicely from a 2 x 4 on edge with it between the bar and the clamp twist handle. Mount that to the wall however it suits you best.
I'll try to remember to take a pic when I get home that shows what I am trying to say.
Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Roger my Besseys and quickclamps are wall mounted on a French cleat (ditto for cabs). I store with clamps open, fixed jaw up on a slotted 3/4 ply frame. Clamp racks are mounted in dead space - behind planer, above CMS table. Top of clamp is about 8 feet up. I'd go 9 feet if I were taller. :lol: :lol:

Spring clamps are stuck on my belt/disc sander metal stand.

Will try to remember to take pics when I get home.

Edit in: DL already posted pics of my system and my shop ain't that clean so I'm gonna abstain from posting!!

Chuck

Last edited:

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Roger
I have an unfinished shed for the most part so i use every nook and cranney for some sort of storage...
For clamps i daddo'd some 1/2"X1" pine to keep the clamps aligned and screwed it into the top cap of my shed
Cheap & cheerfull :lol:
Gary

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Roger,

I made my clamp racks similar to what Chuck described above. I don't have a pic of them hanging on the wall by their French cleat but to give you an idea here is a couple pix of one laying on the table before I mounted the cleat. Each rack will hold 12 bar or Bessey style clamps. I will take a pix of them hanging on the wall for you as well as a rack I made that will hold 18 spring clamps in a very small amount of space.

D L

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Roger, here a couple pix of the racks mounted on the French cleat as well as a couple pix of the rack for the spring clamps.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks folks! I'm starting to get ideas :eusa_thin

First I need a bigger shop. Secondly, D L must have Molly Maid come in twice a week :lol:

The spring clamp rack is great D L . . . accommodates a variety of sizes, simple, and a genuine space saver :eusa_clap

Looking forward for more tomorrow :-D
Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
sapwood said:
Thanks folks! I'm starting to get ideas :eusa_thin

First I need a bigger shop. Secondly, D L must have Molly Maid come in twice a week :lol:

Sapwood

:rolf:

Hmmmmmm:eusa_thin ...............I wonder if I could get Molly to come by to clean up the shop for me?

D L

dozer

Mike
I think D L has a full time maid that works in his shop I didn't see any dust at all in those photos. :lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
dozer said:
I think D L has a full time maid that works in his shop I didn't see any dust at all in those photos. :lol:

I try to be selective on the angles I shoot my pix from. I have found I get better results if I avoid taking any photos of surfaces where gravity lies. :lol:

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Here's mine:

IMG_0099.jpg
[/IMG]

It's a bit more populated since I took that pic. I'd take another one, but I can't get to my clamp rack right now... :roll: By the way, if you store your Bessey's like this, you have to tighten them a little before you hang them up. Otherwise you'll have a surprise in store for you when you take them back down!

Monty

New User
Monty
Just want to add this: I think the best design by far is what Vanguad did with his. Take a look at this:

DCP_2523.JPG

This really pack a lot of clamps into a little bit of wall space. I didn't do that, because some of my Bessey's are the old style without a plastic doohicky on the end to hang them by.

BobN

New User
Bob
Nothing fancy, just something to keep them off the floor and out of my way.

Bob

Attachments

• P1010087 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010087 (572 x 428).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 362

Sully

New User
jay
I'd be happy to store whatever clamps you don't have space for; I'll even come pick 'em up :lol:

Mine are mainly clamp to overhead joists in my tiny lil' shop although I'm always a little paranoid that a 60 incher is gonna drop down on my noggin one night.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OK, this is my first attempt to do thumbnails using Monty's "informative and well written" faq so if it doesn't work, it is his fault.:)

Here is my old rack. It holds 1/2 and 3/4 pipe along with bar clamps. It is 8 ft long, but it could be cut down. I no longer use it so if anyone wants it, first come first serve.

Here is my c clamp and vise grip type clamp storage rack

Then I have a rack for f type clamps

Then I have my new racks for my Bessey's, pipe clamps, and large f style clamps. Each slot will hold around 4 or 5 Bessey's. I like this style better than my old one as I get more clamps in much less wall space. I think I have around 20 Besseys and 20 pipe clamps in about a 6 foot space with this

I got pretty much all of the new ones out of a FWW book I have, and I got the old one out of an issue of Woodsmith. I have seriously thought about building a roll around rack like Alan has to be able to roll the things where I want them. I stay torn whether to give up the floor space with another floor type cabinet/unit or just leave them on the wall. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Travis, I really like the rack you built for your Bessey clamps. I could win back a bunch of wall space if I built some of racks like yours and I could still use a cleat to hang them on.

Thanks for sharing.
D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey great stuff, it just keeps getting better. :-D The bessy rack does maximize space Travis. Placing horizontal dowels in the space between each holder could create additional place for spring or c-clamps.

Genuinely appreciate the photos and ideas,
Roger

hannah01

New User
Joe
I just clamp mine on the overhead 2x4 joists over my bench. Out of the way and handy when I need them. Not a possibility for those of you lucky enough to have a large shop. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS