Shoulder plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have the veritas med shoulder plane. It is nice and you are welcome to try it out. I use it quite often, not just for tenons. I am tempted to make a large shoulder plane out of wood to compliment it for tenon cheeks.
Salem

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the veritas med shoulder plane. It is nice and you are welcome to try it out. I use it quite often, not just for tenons. I am tempted to make a large shoulder plane out of wood to compliment it for tenon cheeks.
Salem

Salem: Are you happy wtht the medium, or do you wish you had bought the large for more mass? (I still have an IOU from Christmas, and trying to decide on a shoulder plane or a rabbet plane)

Go

eyekode

New User
Salem
It is a very nice plane. Are there times I wish I had the large shoulder plane? Yes. Are there times I wish I had the small shoulder plane? Yes. Are there time I wish I had a skew rabbet plane? Yes.

Good hand tools are funny. They add up to cost more than good power tools. But I don't mind buying them because they hold their value well (unlike power tools) and I enjoy using them.

On the flip side I picked up a well used Stanley 605 with some aesthetic problems recently for < 50$. Brilliant plane. Equal to the Lie-Nielsen's I own (except in looks :)). So "good" hand tools don't have to cost a fortune. That being said I don't think you can save much by buying old shoulder planes (or skew rabbet planes).

Salem

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I have the Stanley No. 92. Have had it for years and find I contantly reach for it, whether for tenons or anything else where I need to trim off an edge. I agree there are times when I wish I had a larger one, and a smaller one, but I am very happy with the one I have and don't see how I could do without it.
Jim in Mayberry

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 1 inch wide Stanley shoulder plane. I don't know if that is the model 92 but, if not, it is basically the same except for width. I like my Stanley and am happy I have it. I use it a lot to fit tenons. I often saw to close to the right thickness and then adjust the thickness of the tenon with the Stanley. Sometimes I fit the shoulder with it. I should do that more. It is fussier work but the Stanley is up to it. Adjusting the thickness takes so little time it is not worth fussing with taking a little more off with the table saw.

The grinding of the blade of mine was INCREDIBLY coarse. I was cleaning it up a few minutes ago on my new Worksharp 3000 using 80 grit sandpaper. You know it is coarse if 80 grit is finer - and it was a lot finer. Not much excuse for that except being sloppy. The sides seem to be square to the base, however, and that would be much harder to fix than sharpening the blade. The blade is also good hard steel. The mouth is pretty wide but it doesn't prevent me from doing the work I use this plane for. I have no doubt that the Veritas and others are nicer but I think the Stanley will do the same work. You should plan on spending a good bit of time sharpening the blade. And if you do not have a good power sharpener you might want to double think the Stanley. But once you get the coarse grinding marks out, it will take no longer to sharpen than any other blade.

Jim

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Just a caution..both of the planes in Rob's links are the UK-made #92, whereas the OP posted a link to the "Sweetheart" #92, which is not made in the UK (instead Mexico, I think).

Not saying one is any better or worse, but they are at least somewhat *different*.

Personally for the small difference in price, I would buy the Veritas and not bother with ANY of the new Stanley's, but that's just me.

-Mark

And another review. I've been looking at shoulder planes myself.

http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1818

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS