Should thread on donating to St. Jude's be moved to Off Topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
If the moderators agree, please move the thread on donating to St. Jude's from User Announcements to Off Topic.
Thanks,
Cathy

MikeH

New User
Mike
This is actually my thread. I thought a charity thread would be better suited for the User announcement forum. No?

ehpoole

Ethan
Generally speaking, non-woodworking and non-personal announcements (e.g. health, weddings, graduations) belong in the Off-topic Forum because they are neither about the topic of Woodworking nor the individual woodworker and/or family. This is why the Off Topic forum was created.

For instance, simply announcing that you and/or your wife are participating in a fund raiser would be fine for the User Announcments forum, but solicitation is where it gets more complicated (and thus becomes more appropriate for Off Topic). In this case it is really the primary message of the post that becomes the determining factor, with the primary focus, in this case, being the encouragement of donations.

An exception would be if the Board wished to endorse the fund-raiser (which is more probable if it is somehow woodworking oriented) in which case the Board would post the announcements under Staff Announcements.

This post reflects my understanding of our Policies, some of our other Board or Staff members may wish to elaborate further and/or correct any errors in my response.

I will leave the final action and decision up to the Moderators, however. As moderation goes this request is considered more of a "general house-keeping" request.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Great explanation Ethan! I've just moved the thread. You are a valuable asset to our site. Thanks for all you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors