Should I do wood countertops? (need opinions)

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
DEKTON

Are Dekton countertops worth it?

Consumer Reports found that Dekton is great at resisting abrasion, staining, heat, and cuts. Home Depot goes a step further, calling it “completely scratch resistant” and claiming it “cannot be scorched or stained.” It also stands up to water and UV rays, making it a great choice for outdoor kitchens and dining areas.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
IMHO NO NO Wood looks great for the first month,maybe after that a constant maintence headache. Go granite or other solid surface. Been in this business over 40 years I have granite!!!

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Okay, let me clarify some points again.

Its a lake house and we are not there all the time. Spend the night here and there. Its 40 minutes from our current house so we go for the day or overnight. Out of town guests might stay for a few days or a week. Dishwasher is never used.

I care about aesthetics only. Maintenance is a non issue. If it needs to be sanded down I own a festool vac and several sanders. I can knock it out quick. Also countertops are small.

This is aesthetics opinions only. Will wood look better than granite or quartz. Thats basically it.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Lake house seldom used sitting at a lake means higher humidity ALL the time
Not there to do maintenance
when you go there to relax instead you need to constantly work on the top
Wood will be a constant pia to maintain.
solid surface is in,done,no maintence, just open door go in and park and enjoy.
INMHO WOOD NO NO
solid surface will always look like the day they were installed.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Resized_20200320_154311_5528.jpg

5 years and no issues. Used every day. Use a stable wood and waterlox marine. Several coats.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
My house is still rocking the original harvest gold Formica tops from 1981... and I love it. We've lived here 20 and it still looks like new. I don't like stone...too hard, too cold. But that's just me. I'd have wood over stone any day.

Its a food prep area. I like laminate because dropped dishes don't shatter as easily. My wife wanted quartz composite so that's what we have but I'd still prefer laminate. Its easy to clean with about any chemical but so is the quartz.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
I wouldn't do face grain counters, but as long as you're not doing wood on wood on wood in the kitchen space, it's hard to beat the warmth of wood edge grain counters. I made these a couple of few years ago, and the Osmo hard wax oil seems to work well on them.

DSC_1110.JPG

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I think some of you folks are forgetting that the kitchen is the wife's domain. And even though we woodworkers love wood, 75% of everyone else (those who are most likely to buy) do not want it as a countertop. Seems like wood countertops will have a big impact on resale value unless you live in a log cabin type home or have a lodge up in the mountains. Anywhere else, prospective buyers will be adding another $30-50k to gut the kitchen and start over with quartz or granite.

My son and daughter-in-law have beautiful maple cabinets and she wants to paint them all white. Good grief.

Last edited:

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Good morning Dave!

I’ll have to disagree with buyers not wanting wood countertops. I just sold our first craftsman-styled home on 12/30/2021 and had butcher block countertops in the kitchen at the realtor’s request. I was surprised, but the realtor told us not to waste the money on stone/composite and use wood since a lot of buyers like it. I think it also helps that I’ve noticed a fair amount of home shows using butcher block for kitchens!

I also used cherry for two of the bathroom countertops.

Bill,

To your original question about using wood—All countertops had multiple coats of waterlox that held up well to daily use including kids for several years. The main floor bath that was used by everyone I did recoat after 2-3 years.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS