Should have listened to NewWoodworker.com...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdfrye

New User
Danny Frye
:kamahlituOk guys...I give up. I am in need of someone who can help me find a dedicated mortiser at a good price...or knows the secret to getting those mortising attachments to do anything more than ruin your life. I tested the waters when I found a good deal on the Delta kit. I even have the 17-900 which requires no special adapters or anything. I can barely get the chisels aligned perpendicular to my drill press fence, the bit rubs against the chisel and ultimately everything gets stuck in the wood after creating the mortise. It's terrible. I only have like 10-12 1/2" mortises to make in some 3/4 oak. You would think this would be easy...

Oh well...if you can help me find a source for a good machine...it would be much appreciated.

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I had pretty much the same experience and found that you really have to set those hold-downs tight against the workpiece for a chance of getting the chisel out. The alignment was a nightmare for me also:BangHead:. Many many many test holes. I will also eventually go for the stationary.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
How about a floor mortiser from Jet - $599.00 Have 3 left in our Charlotte Location and get one moved to Winston Store on Hanes Mall Blvd.

J708589K JET FLOOR MORTISER W/CLOSED STAND Once this deal is gone - new price $899.00.

Wanted to make you aware if interested.

www.woodworkingshop.com

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Don't feel bad I bought a kit for a Craftsman DP 20 or so yrs ago. put it on the DP one time and it wasn't worth the trouble even if it had worked properly. For years I used a forsner bit in the DP and cleaned up with a chisel. I finally bought a Jet dedicated mortiser and have loved it. If I were going to get another, I would probably opt for one with a tilting head. I think it would be useful.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
:kamahlituOk guys...I give up. I am in need of someone who can help me find a dedicated mortiser at a good price...or knows the secret to getting those mortising attachments to do anything more than ruin your life. I tested the waters when I found a good deal on the Delta kit. I even have the 17-900 which requires no special adapters or anything. I can barely get the chisels aligned perpendicular to my drill press fence, the bit rubs against the chisel and ultimately everything gets stuck in the wood after creating the mortise. It's terrible. I only have like 10-12 1/2" mortises to make in some 3/4 oak. You would think this would be easy...

Oh well...if you can help me find a source for a good machine...it would be much appreciated.

I know you are frustrated but you can cut good mortises on the drill press. I cut 48 table legs in one sitting. The wood was oak, mahogany, cherry and walnut. I have a delta with a 12 year old mortise attachment.

Look in the article index for several different mags and you should find some help. One trick is setting the relief on a leg. If you want 1/8" relief do not try to measure it but use something that is exactly 1/8" of an inch. I use a drill bit on its side. Set the chisel square to the fence using a block of wood that you know is square. I use one that is 2" square. This gives me enough surface area to set the chisel against. I also set the square against the sides of the chisel just as a second check. I set the chisel so the chips come out toward me. This is a little messy but what your chips look like can tell you a lot. I also keep a can of the dry lubricant close and use it often. Use a chisel a couple of mm smaller than your mortise to clean out the bottoms.

It use to take me forever to set up to cut mortises but I can do it in about 10 minutes now. I will not say that my mortises are as smooth as a router could cut them but they are close.

paul dyar

New User
paul
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']My Grandmother told me they moved from Waynesville to Anderson in a covered wagon. It got them here. Would you do it now? Don't expect a work-around tool to do what a dedicated tool will do. Not knocking them; have used a lot of work-around in my time. It is all about how much you use it, and how much you can afford. If I could afford it I would replace my little craftsman 81/4 scms,that has done everything I wanted it to do. It takes a lot of time to build a shop. Don't know that you ever get it like you want it. I haven't But you(as I have) have gotten a lot of good advice in this forum. [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']paul[/FONT]

fdfrye

New User
Danny Frye
Hey everyone...I know...no pics it didn't happen, but I traveled to Asheville today and eventually (after getting turned around about 5 times) met up with Dan Cambell at his gourgeous home off the Blue Ridge Parkway. He let me borrow his extra tickets to the 22nd Annual Arts and Crafts Expo at the Grove Park Inn and gave me a sneak peak at some of his more recent work (I would spoil the future post for him). Anyways, long story short, we worked out a deal on his Delta 14-600 and I will be getting back in the shop tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants the delta mortising attachment kit for their press, come and get it quick before I take it out back!!! Thanks again for all the advice, and thanks especially to Dan for the hospitality and great tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors