Shop Vac Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Yesterday evening as I was cleaning up my mess in the garage, the shop vac up an quit. I thought maybe it overheated and a thermal switch shut it off. Left it to sit overnight but it didn't turn on this morning. Does anyone here have any experience with these? It is about 1 year old and I use it regularly to pick up saw dust from the garage floor. I haven't opened the motor casing yet to see what may have happened on the inside.

tv

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
try blowing the motor housing out first, check your wiring on the vac and outlet, and then if that doesnt work tear into it. It could be a simple wire job.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
It isn't a Rigid but I believed it does have a warranty. I will check how long when I get home. It looks like I will be tearing into this evening before I make a decision on buying a new one.

tv

sapwood

New User
Roger
Best of luck Todd!
I keep hoping my Shop Vac will die . . . but noooo!!!!
It screams like a jet engine, but I won't get another until it ceases to function :crybaby2: And it has to be 20 years old :roll:

Roger

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I don't have dust collection for my equipment, so the shop vac is used frequently. My wife still parks in the garage and therefore I vacuum the garage every night the table saw, router, sander etc is used. Being in the middle of a project, this wasn't the most opportune time for it to fail. Murphy has been hanging to around my home to much lately.

tv

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a ShopVac brand vacuum and the same thing happened. It was ~8 months old. I called the service line and, without any questions, they sent me a new motor. I did not have to prove when I bought it, nothing. They just asked for the model number and my address. I got a new motor in a week. You might give it a try if it is this brand.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would take a look at the switch. See if you can get into it and it will very likely be clogged with saw dust.

JRD

New User
Jim
Mine lasted 5 months and failed while using it to clean out the car.

Shop Vac, to their great credit....replaced the motor with just one phone call.
They really seem to be customer focused.

Jim

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Well just a little update on the shop vac. I tore into and thought maybe it could be the switch, like Travis alluded to. The switch had acted a bit persnickety (is that a word) over the last month.

I got through two levels of dismemberment and saw I needed to go through a 3rd. I decided to make two phone calls. One to the service center and one to the Lowe's that I purchased the vac from. Nothing from the center but Steve at Lowe's in Apex said bring it in, we will give your money back. I had purchased the vac approximately 16 months ago.

So I put the vac back together, ran to Lowes and they refunded my money. I was quite thrilled to say the least. The return guy told me that my model was suppose to have been recalled. Obviously I didn't get the memo.

I promptly drove to the BORG and bought a Rigid with a lifetime warranty. Also, the BORG is approximately 3 minutes away instead of 20.

This one suck's just as much as the other. I will go ahead and take my penalty now, cskipper.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS