shop upgrade *pic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
In order to cut full size sheet goods I must open my garage door, I only have 6' from front of saw to door. With my old door, when open, I only had 7' of headroom. Catch 22. Well, my problems have been solved. Got this door put in over the weekend with a high lift kit. Now I have all the headroom I will ever need. Opted for two light panels also b/c you can never have enough light. Thanks for looking, posted more shop pics in album.

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 224

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Rhett,

Neat idea. I'd also be interested in the cost.I have a small garage door in my basement shop that leads to a deck and stairs to the driveway. Originally had planned on a sliding barn type door(like the NYW) but costs near the end of the build caused me to scrimp and go for the garage door. I now have a nuisance head room issue by my table saw and your solution could solve it.

Dan C.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I need this. I've had two door companies over and they said they didn't know of such a thing! I don't care (much) about what it cost. Where did you get it?????

pete

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
High lift kits should be available for any standard sized door. The door usually requires a torsion spring for this kit because the cable drum that fits to it must be made to properly compensate for the door weight as it rises. In a typical low door, the drum size can decrease as the door lifts to allow for the reduced weight being carried as the door sections go horizontal. With a high lift, the door must lift higher before this load can be reduced and the spring tension must also be adjusted, not a job for amatuers. These springs can be lethal, or at least, ruin a hand if not handled right. I'd check around and let a pro do it.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Nowj that's an upgrade! Not many people can say they've successfully added that mvch room to their shop w/out spendins big $$$'s Enjoy!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
And you might still be able to put an opener on it if you want by going with a Wayne Dalton I-drive- no track!!!! and the motor assembly mounts around the torsion bar on header. I have three of them and love them. They cost a bit more than a standard Lift Master or Stanley. They used to be available at Lowes.

idriveTorsion_Spring.gif

rhett

New User
rhett
And you might still be able to put an opener on it if you want by going with a Wayne Dalton I-drive- no track!!!! and the motor assembly mounts around the torsion bar on header. I have three of them and love them. They cost a bit more than a standard Lift Master or Stanley. They used to be available at Lowes.

I opted not to have it put on yet, maily b/c I don't park a car in there and also the $750 price is a little hard to swallow.
Is that your car in the pic? If so, very nice.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Alan, Sweet MG! Which model? TC? TF? (I lose track of the MG series, my old sports car was a 61 Porsche 356B Karmann Hardtop, and my daily drive while I had that was a Miata). Do you show it? or use it as a driver... MHO, that is the way they are meant to be used, but upkeep gets expensive, which is why the Porsche is gone :( to someone with deeper pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS