Shop Time / Vise

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I had some time this weekend to set aside to work in the shop. My shop needs lots of love and has been neglected for the past year and a half.

Finally got my first vise mounted at least in a temporary spot on my bench. Is there a general rule as to how much bigger the chop is than the faceplate (overhang on sides and top)? I used some scrap sapele for now, but I think it should be bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_7016.jpeg
    IMG_7016.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm glad to see that vise getting some use again.... it served me well for a long time.

With mine I've got about an inch overhang on either side and the top of the inserts is flush with the top of my bench. If that's not possible, I'd say no more than one inch on the top, but others may have different opinions...

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I did the exact same thing today!

Do you plan to put any type of liner on the inside of the vise jaws?

At the tall vise workshop I attended thru this group, we installed a thin layer of cork on the tall vise. Im thinking about doing the same. Also read about a leather liner.

My chop is about 1.75" and the face plate just over an inch.

Just curious.

Attachments

• 20240316_212325.jpg
    20240316_212325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Do you plan to put any type of liner on the inside of the vise jaws?

At the tall vise workshop I attended thru this group, we installed a thin layer of cork on the tall vise. Im thinking about doing the same. Also read about a leather liner.
I will eventually. Probably crubber.

I had always considered a vise a “nice to have” tool instead of a necessity. My mind was quickly changed as soon as I got this installed as I find I’m using it for everything.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS