Shop Storm Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
When my shop shell was erected the windows that came with the package were aluminum framed and single pane glass. These gave me an R value equivalent to tissue paper. :confused_ With the recent cold snap and the electric heater running more often I decided to add storm windows to eliminate some of the HVAC loss. I had some rails for cabinet doors sitting on the shelf so I assembled them into a frame and glazed it with acrylic sheets from the blue BORG. Frame assembly was typical cope and stick routing supplemented with Kreg pocket screws. The frame grooves were sealed with a silicone enhanced caulk and primed with Kilz and two coats of Behr white satin exterior paint. Thin weatherstripping sealed the backs against the existing window frames and galvanized turn buttons hold them in place. Apparently they have reduced heat transmission with the created dead air space since the interior glazing is no longer cold to the touch. :eusa_danc Here are pictures of one of the three windows:

Trial frame fitting with blue tape joinery in place :gar-La;

Completed window (one of 3) installed.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
GOOD JOB..... make sure to file for an engery credit on your taxes.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Glenn, does your shop have a south facing wall that isn't shaded from the sun? A couple years ago, "Mother Earth News" did an article on a solar collector using south wall, black fiberglass screen, behind polycarbonate sheets. Last week, I saw their book (magazine) in Lowes on energy efficient construction, and it was in there. Just a FYI.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks Bruce, the window in the pictures is on the south wall of the shop which is only 11 feet from the house so it is effectively blocked from the sun. I have a massive TMEN collection and seem to recall an article like that. With the house being so close and taller than the shop my southern exposure is pretty much blocked. :wsmile:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
So black fiberglass screen and polycarbonate sheets make up the solar panel? Explain, I have a southern side that is exposed. Ha Glen, like the windows. Hi Scott.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet! Those plastic storms work great. I built them for my house, which had the same tissue paper windows you describe. Cut my heating and cooling bills by 30% and stopped the river of condensation.

One thing I will caution you on, don't poke them with pointy sticks or chairs........

Jim

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Glenn,

This rocks on several levels... Energy saved, a more comfortable shop, AND... you built them yourself. Nicely done.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the windows, Glenn:icon_thum.
Since you're on a roll, I do have 4 windows in my shop/garage:gar-Bi.

I love saving money!:eusa_danc

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Real nice job, Glenn. :icon_thum Even better that they are saving you $$! :eusa_clap

May I send you the dimensions of MY shop windows? :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS